Clown loaches with ich... please help

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Bassdr1710057

by Bassdr1710057

I purchased a pair of clown loaches within a week they were covered in white spots. I had read that they can catch this disease rather easily.. So I started an ich treatment that I had successfully used before. Within a week and the spots went away, this was yesterday. I was excited as I could now do a water change and get things back to normal. I checked them out again today and a couple of spot showed up again.. I am confused as none of my other fish have shown signs of having ich. I was thinking of adding aquarium salt as it helped my other tank, but I wasnt sure if it will harm my current stock of fish( bala sharks, tiger barbs, angel fish, rainbow shark, gourami and cory. Any advices is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

We need more details. what kind of meds
do you have live plants
how long were you susoposed to treat the tank.

But heres some stuff I know. Yes add some salt It will help the loaches and the the other fishes immune actulary its best too always have salt in. and try a saltwaterbath but Ive never done one so read up on it before. If you can get a qouritine tank like a 1o-2o gallon.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Other wise its not a big deal as long as it eats and get some stuff that will help along the way and some meds that mess up the parisites life cycle. Nothing too worry about so remember that.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You stopped the "blue" medication 3-4 days too early.

ICK lives part of it's life outside the fish in a free swimming form.

This is the only time in it's life cycle it can be killed.

Medicate again, and keep dosing daily for 3-4 days after the spots are gone.

Then they won't come back.

The med commonly used for ICK is formalin blue, or something like that, and it should be used exactly as directed. Too much is harmful to fish.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sorry mro2you2.

There's a good reason not to quaranteen the fish. The ICK is not only on the fish, but in another part of it's life, a free swimming organism, so quaranteening won't do any good, but only prolong the infestation.

You have to treat the entire tank to get them all.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

no its fine thats how old school. ;)

Bassdr1710057

by Bassdr1710057

I do have live plants. I have been using Kordons RidIch organic treatment. It says to treat for a week and then for a couple of days after the spots disappear. I though that it was gone and tomorrow would have been my tenth day. I thought of quarinting them after I do a water change seeing as none of the other fish dont seem to have it.. But I have read that you must treat the whole tank because it was a free swiming disease. But doesnt it only doe that until if finds a host body? Thanks for the input guys.. hope this further information helps...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The ICK often lives in the fish's gills and can't be seen sometimes.

I've never heard of this organic treatment either, so I don't know how well it works.

The most common med is also the most commonly stocked fish-related med in stores, and it's for ICK, the most commonly seen fish disease by far.

The med is a very dark blue color and you only need a drop or two per gallon, so a little bottle goes a long way.

As I said earlier, this meds main ingredient is formalin blue (I'm pretty sure) and can be found anywhere fish supplies are sold.

Maybe what you're using is good too and you needed to dose a day or two longer. I don't know. Maybe google search the product to find customer feedback so you're not using a product that doesn't work.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Just don't stop the treatment you're currently using. Maybe it does work and it'll just take a couple or few more days.

Some people also say to raise the water temp to say 80 or a little more depending on the fish and plants, and this will speed up the ICK's life cycle, and subsequently the length of time you need to treat..

If the spots don't go away within say 2-3 days with the med you're using I'd switch to the proven one I mentioned earlier.

Also, if you removed anything like a filter pad because it has charcoal in it don't put it back in after the ICK is gone. There may be a few of the buggers living in there.

Good luck.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

With my experince as temping as it is to get nature because you want to be "green" or not leave Co2 into the air or not to be the care free repuliction....... IT aent worth it.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2