Brown algae

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Dpil19901

Brown algae

by Dpil19901

so for the last 2 months my tank has been plagued by brown algae ( or so i think its brown easy to wipe of and grows very fast) so i have 10 zebra danois and 10 rummy nose tetras have been in the tank for about a month and as i understand brown algae is a sign of a new tank and not completed cycle is it ok to add more fish or should i wait?

Dpil19901

by Dpil19901

also the fish were added over a time of 2 1/2 months

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Sounds like too much nutrients in the water column. Do some extra water changes and reduce the feeding by half.

How much do you feed your 10 little fish?

Cayano-bacteria is usually a blue-green color and coats everything like a tent. It will come off if you just wave your hand in front of it.

You probably have regular brown algae, and this grows in a normal healthy aquarium, though it will grow too fast with excessive nutrients in the water.

Cut down on feeding. Most fish eat way more than they need to and most fish are constant beggers. Try to restrain the feeding amounts and do extra water changes to lower the nitrate level.

Take some of the water to an aquarium store and get the nitrate level (with an A, not a I) checked, or if you have a nitrate test kit use that. Nitrates normally build up over time, and that's the primary reason for regular water changes. The water should be changed, say 30%, when nitrates reach 20ppm or so.

Good luck.

PK

Dpil19901

by Dpil19901

thx ill cut down on feeding and do a water test

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Your partially right. Brown algae is a sign of a new tank (actually pretty common) but it doesn't mean that the tank isn't cycled. It will usually go away after a few months. Just keep of with the weekly water changes, maybe cut down on feeding a little bit (freshwater community tank fish should only be fed every other day) and it should start turning green. Like peterkarig said, algae is a good sign of a healthy tank. I wouldn't worry about it too much!

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Every other day is debatable.

Some people say feed 3 times a day. I think that small community fish, which have higher metabolic rates than larger fish, need to eat more frequently.

I agree with the part about new tanks having spikes in ammonia and nitrites, and I guess maybe that would cause an algae bloom .

Didn't want to dissagree. I just think that for small fish once every 2 days is a bit too long between feedings..

peterkarig

by peterkarig

For Cichlids that might be right though.

Dpil19901

by Dpil19901

no i wouldnt think of feeding 3 times a day only twice usaualy now once a day

mro2you2

by mro2you2

How mush do you feed your gars?

peterkarig

by peterkarig

It depends. I'll throw them a couple freeze dried krill for each for the smaller 2, and maybe 3 peices for the bigger 18 incher daily to keep from starving them. Freeze dried krill has very little density, so, even though they feel like they've had a decent meal it's mostly air.

Every 2-3 days I give them a bit more, and about once a month I'll dump in about 30 small goldfish for a treat,(and to bring back their hunting/ambushing instincts) I usually put the feeder fish in another holding tank and spread the feeder fish feeding over a few days.

I can't over feed these fish because I don't have a 300-500 gallon tank yet and I want them to be comfortable in the 100 gallon I have now.

I have the tank structured different than in the posted pics now. There are like a few large centrally placed plants and wood so they have lots of turning room and different routs by which to explore. They can swin behind and in front, and there's also cave like areas that they like to hide in when they're not begging for food.

I was sitting by the tank, which is next to my computer, the other night, and the 18 incher jumped right out of the tank onto the floor! I thought the open area I use for feeding was small enough, but I guess not.

I'd be heart broken had I not been there to rescue her......and yes, I closed up that hole so it can't happen again.

Brown algae

14 posts • Page 1 of 2