New to the Forums - how's my tank looking? :)

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

hungrypigeon

by hungrypigeon

(Pic is attached)So i have a 40 gallon tank with an AquaClear 50 filter and a Marineland 200w heater. I have 2 stress relievers set up along with a purple-ish colored light. I have pebbles on the aquarium floor about 3 inches up and larger rocks + fake plants decorating the ground. Here are the fishes I have so far in my tank:

3x snails
2x platys
2x turquoise rainbow fish
5x ghost catfish
4x cory catfish
6x rummynose tetras
7x harlequin rasbora

I've cycled the tank and everything seems to be fine. When i first put the fishes in they seemed to stay in their own schools but now everything is jumbled up which i think is a good sign. The only worry i have is that I heard that the ghost catfish need to be in schools in order to survive. Without knowing this I only purchased 2 yesterday and then purchased 3 more today for a total of 5. But, they do not seem to be schooling :( It's still only the first day so i'll give it some time but all the other schooling fishes i have bought schooled the first day i bought them. Do you guys see any potential problems? I might return the 2 rainbow fishes because they are about 3 inches in length and although they are peaceful they can be a bit forceful and scare the other fishes away. And when i put food in my tank the rainbows gobble them up super quickly! Still, i like how the rainbow fishes adds a size variety to my tank. Do you guys have any recommendations on two medium sized fishes (similar to the rainbows in terms of size) that i can add to my tank that are a little bit more mellow and colorful? Thanks!
48f34-437158158_1520078093_0.jpeg

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I ike that you recognise a problem with the larger rainbows. You might want to remove them and return them to the store. They probably won't give you anything for them, except, (maybe), a credit.

Some fish schoool esier than others, especially with the confusion of all the opther fish in your community, even in the tetra family.

Neons are pretty nice and they school well, though they're hard to keep in numbers unless you give them perfect conditions. I'm hoping tp get a neon tetra school of at least 20 soon.

I'll think about other small schooling fish later as I'm tired right now.

hungrypigeon

by hungrypigeon

Thanks for you reply! How many more fishes of these types do you guys think i can add to my tank or is this enough?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

peterkariq: I have a 20 gallon with so far 2 yo yo loaches and 1 Dwarf gourami what are some other fish I can get?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Hungrypigion: Neon Gourami Very colorfull Peacefull Very Very Very hardy.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

i had one but died of Dwarf Gourami Diesiese. R.I.P

6 posts