Snail eggs in tank

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ukdeveloper

Snail eggs in tank

by ukdeveloper

Please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong forum.

We have a very basic setup of a few minnows and a 3 snails (black). Just a childs first goldfish set up.

The snails have started laying eggs on the side of the tank and i wondered the following:

1). Is it safe to clean out the tank whilst the eggs are there or will this kill the eggs
2). How many snails will hatch if they survive?
3). Will the minnows eat them
4). How long do they take to hatch?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Carl.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

So I am guessing Ramshorn snails. If I were you I would purposely clean the tank and kill the eggs, but preferences being what they are its your tank. I would imagine that with care you can accomplish a cleaning without killing the eggs. This is to assume you idea of cleaning isn't putting the fish into another bowl and spraying the tank out with a hose.

Snails tend to breed pretty rapidly, especially ramshorn. The minnows may eat the eggs, but I kind of doubt it. I have no idea how long they take to hatch, but personally I have never waited to find out. Sounds cruel, but they are more of a pain than pet in my opinion.

JB

Twigboy8888

by Twigboy8888

they dont take very long at all to hatch i had a few snails on a plant i put in my tank awhile back and mabey a month latter they where all over the place the eggs are a pain to kill so i think if you clean your tank they will be fine

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I want a puffer tank really bad dwarf puffer at least. I know I need snails to keep there teeth down but how do i get snails to breed that are big anought too see but not too big as those cheap 'Mysteires' snails from Petsmart?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

sorry its off subject

FYI PDTA hates us!!!!!!! lol lol lol lol
Last edited by mro2you2 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

well..
I think uk may actually have a pair of mystery snails given his/her interest in the eggs. that being the case there is probably more readily available information in google regarding their little life cycle. Though you simply called them 'black' so I'm not sure.

mro2you2: common pest snails (pond, ramshorn) are perfect for dwarf puffers. The idea is to keep a healthy population of them in whatever tank your puffer isn't in. Then you can net snails from that tank and drop them in with the puffer and you'll never be completely out of snails.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

My dad ( yes, Im a kid) said I can't get another tank.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

what would you thing a good ratio of puffer in a twenty gallon would be. I ask a lady at petsmart and she said 20 witch then won the reward of the stupidest answer ever!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

lol uvdeverper is talking about how to raise snail and im talking about how to kill snails. lol

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I looked at your profil and it looks like im talking to a dwarf puffer expert.
I love kulie loaches but are they safe with puffers? Also please sent be a list or post a list of fish good with then that can fit in a 20 gallon of cource.

Snail eggs in tank

16 posts • Page 1 of 2