Getting my first big tank, 75 gallon..need tips please :)

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

those all look a little on the old side and might leek i would go with a tank thats not so 90s maybe go with Acrylic thay are 10x stronger and will last 10x longer but thay will scratch easy so you have to be careful look around and you might find what your looking 4

shaolin95

by shaolin95

Never thought of that...another thing to consider.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

My personal opinion is stay away from acrylic. I just don't care for them. They scratch easily and when they do it seems to distort the image way worse then damaged glass.

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

Do you like that last one with the , what it seems, better filter JB20High or still prefer your original choice?

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Both filters are good for the tank size. Either would be a nice purchase in my opinion. The stands are pretty nice too...

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

I noticed that based on the size, for the 75 gallon one I would need to spend a good deal of money to get a similar quality filter compared to the other two....
This is where you info helped me make a better decision. :-)

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Glad I could help. As long as the fishies are happy and healthy we have done our jobs.

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

I considered converting either into a Salt Water tank after seeing how gorgeous those fishes are but it seems the cost would be too high and they told me I could not even use the fluval on the 55 so I decided to forget about salt for now....

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Not to mention saltwater tanks, this is only my opinion, are way more complicated! They require more gear/chemicals/knowledge, and are far more sensitive to variations.

I will eventually get into salt, but for now freshwater is enough to keep me busy!

JB

peterkarig

by peterkarig

The Fluval in the 2nd is a great filter, and the first mentioned "no heavy scratches" . The 2 oscars are allready overgrowing the tank I'd think and the clown knife fish as well would probably kill anything smaller than the large oscars allready there.

As for treating "plain" water: Tap water usually has chlorine and chloramines in it, and you just need to treat both the chlorine and the chloramine.

Look for a water conditioner that gets both types of chlorine and a tiny bit will make most all water safe.

You also get something in most water conditioners that aids the fish's slime coat. Other than that, unless you already have an infection you shouldn't be adding fungicides or ick med.

Get a water test kit that tests pH, nitrAtes, and if you like ammonia and nitrItes too. Then you'll be able to determine that your bennificial bacteria are working right and your fish arn't swimming in harmful waste (that builds up if the benneficial bacteria are not working right.)

If you lived near me I'd sell you a nice 75 gallon with cabinet and the rest for cheap.

Good luck.

Getting my first big tank, 75 gallon..need tips please :)

21 posts • Page 2 of 3