Getting my first big tank, 75 gallon..need tips please :)

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

shaolin95

by shaolin95

Hi!
This is what I am getting:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=7693633&cat=&lpid=
I actually got it for $150.
What do you guys think?

Just in case I can also get this one instead:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... at=&lpid=7
Not sure if I can get a $150 deal on that one though.
What do you guys think about either and is it going to be hard for a noob to go from a 10-20gallon tank to this 55 or 75 "monsters"? lol

Thanks for any comments.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

I personally just moved from a 20 high to a 55 gallon tank myself. I spent a lot of time researching which fish I wanted to introduce into it. What I wanted those fish for, i.e. breeding/beauty/entertainment, and what each would require. The main tip I can give you is to be aware of what it is you want the tank to be 6-8 months from now. With a 20 it's not a big deal to reconfigure at a whim to make your fish happy. It’s a little more of a hassle to change the environment in a bigger tank. So have a plan, and stick to it as much as possible.

A few tips:

Rinse all substrate THOUROUGHLY!!! (There are of course exceptions like eco-complete, etc)
Boil all rocks/woods you put into the tank THOUROUGHLY!!!
I don't know your experience level with fish keeping, but reading and understanding the ins and outs of any and every chemical you introduce into the tank is very important.
The last one is, if you haven't already, strike up a relationship with a good local fish store and ask them questions until they kick you out! These people make it their business to keep fish, so they know what they are talking about. (This is of course if it is a GOOD LFS!)

I hope any or all of this helps! Good luck!

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

I am planning to introduce mostly fake decorations. I am thinking on getting some real plants I saw a petco though (pet smart? forgot now).
I think I only want it for decortation and fun although I do not mind if they have their own little fun (ie breeding lol ).
You know, every time I try to learn a new hobby I realized that NOTHING is always as simple as it seems lol
Happened to me with photography, home theater, projectors, everything.
Do you have a preference on either of those two I am thinking on buying?
Currently I have 3 fishes that I love and do not plan to introduce any fish that can kill them. They were 5 but two died right away because my dear wife added water and instead of using a aloe vera thingy to clean the water added the fongus control thing so the poor fishy where leaving in plain regular water...those 3 survivors deserver a bigger nicer place! ;)

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Well I would suggest fake plants as they are simple to take care of. I also would avoid buying fish/plants from the bigger chain stores as you will have alot more illness and infestation when you do. Anything from ick to snails will invade your take regularly when you buy from them. The best thing you can do is find a local fish store. Like a mom and pop type place where the owner works behind the counter. these places are gems of knowledge and help for the new fishkeeper and are usually a better quality as well.

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

Ah nice tip.
I get the fake decorations are ok no matter where I get them right.
I do like how my local pet smart looks though...not like walmart and their green fish tanks with tons of dead fishy...
No recommendations on with set up looks better of the two above?

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Well with fake or alive decorations just be sure to rinse them very well. As for which one is better, I like the 55 gallon with the filter and such. Thats just my opinion though. Bigger isn't always better.

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

Thanks. You prefer the 55 because of the filter is has compared to the other one?
I was leaning towards that one because if has been his hobby for 4 years so I guess he has been taking care of things. :-)

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Well I like the canister filter versus the hang behinds, and yeah he seems to have a good feel for things so it is probably kept up.

JB

shaolin95

by shaolin95

Got it.
I thought the second one had another type of filter or something he mentions in the description.
I kind of liked the bigger tank and cheaper price but whatever is best will take.

shaolin95

by shaolin95

How about this one for $100:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=389&ss ... d,,cat,371
It has a fluval 305 which seems to be VERY expensive!

21 posts • Page 1 of 3