plastink tank, baby fish care

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tushar10166

by Tushar10166

orange fish in plastic bucket - ok? or will the plastic be harmful ? plan to buy a tank in a month or so with next payments ...

Had 2 orange fish (name ?) they gave 11 babies ! separated the kids into a plastic bucket - to protect them - is that required?
in the pic can see one of the adults - put them in with its kids after a few days to eat extra food. is it ok to shift the fish from taks like this? used a net i got at the shop i bought the fish from. I'm from Bangalore India
1cd8d-org1.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

It should be ok for the mean time. After the fry get a little bigger you can put them back in with the adults.

Also, you might want to get that adult out of there because they will eat the young!

Serial324556

by Serial324556

If you want to keep the babies, always keep them away from the adults until they get big enough where they cant fit into the mouths of the parents because they will eat them. The plastic bucket will be fine it won't be harmful to the fish. I would not recommend keep switching them back and forth between the bucket and the tank because moving fish like that will stress them out and they will probably die. Hope all goes well!

Tushar10166

by Tushar10166

Thanks for the reply. Few more queries. When I switch on the filter which filters the water and blows air into the water, the fish move more, at times it appears that the current is moving them and they are struggling to stabilize.

Is this normal?

25 inches length x 12 inches breah x 10 inches height

Have 2 tanks.
Does it mean the filter too strong for the tank size? Any remedies or are they fine? Is it better to keep the separate bucket and use pipes to interchange water between the tank and cache bucket?

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Current is good for most fish as it provides excersize and many fish will play in it, but some fish with large fins can become exsausted, so you'll need to direct the flow in a way that reduces it.

The more plants, wood, features, etc you have the less current there will be.

I don't know why you would want a separate bucket to reduce current. There must be something creative you can do to achieve this all in the same tank.

Do you have 2 tanks?

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Oh yea. The general rule is you can't go wrong with more filtration, only too little, so yea, creativity is common in the aquarium world.

Good luck.

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

i think your fish is a molly or platy becuz goldfish take at least a year to reach maturity and will be a little bigger the filter is fine the flow is good but thay need a dead spot to sleep and rest how many gallons do you have them in

Tushar10166

by Tushar10166

ok thank you for quick responses.
yes i think the orange is a platy. definitely not gold fish did not buy those.

ok filters remain. i do have many pieces of broken garden pots and pebbles as features.

25 inches length x 12 inches breah x 10 inches height = 49 liters = 12.9 US gallons

I have 2 tanks of this size one with two blue morphs and the other with the platy kids. moved the platy parents to a plastic bucket. some of the platys have doubled in size but most are still tiny so keeping the parents away.

8 posts