150 gallon help

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Ryand639878

150 gallon help

by Ryand639878

hey everyone. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on filtration for a 150. I currently have 2 marineland 350 biowheel filters. would that be enough? I want to get an oscar and some silver dollars I think. Also, with the oscar, what pleco is good for them that doesnt get too big and doesnt stay too small in case they eat them? Thanks

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Personally I think the little common plecos at he aquarium store are cute, but I don't care forthem when they get big. They're not good around gars as they get into sucking on them at night causing contusions that often lead to infection.

If you want another big fish that may be a bit more interesting than a pleco how about a cat fish of the larger variety?

I'd say you're good with anything that grows similarly to the oscar and lives in similar water conditions, but I don't know about other kinds of plecos.

The park lake near me is chock full of huge plecos, and I've even seen people netting them to eat. YUk!

Ryand639878

by Ryand639878

anyone have any input on filters?

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

i would go with fluval look it up im not a fan of bio wheels

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I like the Rena Filstar canister filtter. It's a lot cheaper than the Fluval, which are great filters, but the Rena Filstar XP3 is silent, has 3 (Ithink) baskets inside for media and comes with 4 sponge filters of 2 grades.

It has everything you need, and because it doesn't have to be hung off the back you can have your aquarium closer to the wall. Canister filters are great because they can be hidden beneath the aquarium totally out of sight.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I think the Rna Filstar XP3 is for 175 gallons, though I'd supplement with either a sponge filter over the intake, another filter, or a powerhead with sponge filter over the intake.

Oscars are messy fish and you can't go wrong with extra filtration.

150 gallon help

6 posts