White spot

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Steveb

White spot

by Steveb

My Indonesian Tiger has a single white spot about 1/8 inch, (about 2-3mm) across just in front of its dorsal fin

a week ago it looked like it had banged into some structure in the tank (as they chase each other furiously) and it was a pale fleshy color. Now it has turned quite white. During the week the smaller tigers would nibble at it but no longer

the tiger does not seem distressed , it is just as active as always and non of the other fish have any similar or smaller markings

I live in Hong Kong and the water temperature is 29.1 C or 84F (which is two degrees F higher than the room) and nitrites and ph are as recommended

I have in total 13 fish in 120 litres, 32 US Gallons

I would really appreciate any advice of a course of action

regards, Steve

Steveb

by Steveb

here it is possible to see the white spot

thanks for your advice

regards, Steve
31213-Tiger spot white.jpg

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Healthy fish can heal quickly, but I'd add melafix ( a natural antiseptic made from tea-tree oil) to help ward off bacterial or fungal infections as it heals. Hopefully it isn't infected.

If it looks fuzzy it's probably fungus, so add an anti-fungal medication.

If it looks like it's spreading it could be getting a bacterial infection which must be dealt with immediately with antibiotics.

A small amount of non-iodised salt can also be good for the fish's slime coat and help with healing. At the aquarium store there is salt for this and the amount to add in the directions.

If you have pure salt at home you can add it immediately, though you might give a list of the fish in the tank so we can assess that there are no certian fish which may be more sensitive to salt. As a rule, many people add pure salt to their fresh water tanks for the benefit of the fish.

Sorry I forget the amount per gallon/liter reccomended.

Good luck.

Steveb

by Steveb

Peter,

its not spreading, just getting whiter

I googled your suggestion for killing parasites a DIP treatment of a 3% solution (4 teaspoons) in a bucket for 5-30 minutes but watch carefully for stress

also per your question of types of fish they say scaleless fish do not tolerate this treatment

it should be pure salt or kosher salt without added chemicals

here we go....

thanks again, Steve
Last edited by Steveb on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Good luck.. Healthy fish seem to heal quickly. I had my gars bite the entire tail off including some or the muscle on one of my fish, since transfered to another tank, and it grew back in a couple weeks.

Steveb

by Steveb

Peter, much to my surprise I just could not catch the large tiger. He was quicker than greased lightning. Barring taking all the obstacles out of the tank I gave up and added a quarter of a teaspoon to the tank. Lo and behold the white spot is reducing in size - may be something else who knows

the more I read about salt in freshwater tanks the more I became hesitant to use it - I would rather have given the single fish a solitary bath this was the next best thing

will probably have to invest in a fish trap..? do they exist for FW tanks?

regards, Steve

White spot

6 posts