HELP!!!!!!!

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

fishee

HELP!!!!!!!

by fishee

Hello,

I am a new fish lover. I am getting ready to buy a tank and I want to get one in the range of 40-50 gallons. I found a deal on a 55 gallon rectangular tank start up kit, with all the chemicals needed, light, hood, heater, net, and the side filters. It will cost around $200 after tax.

I also found a 46 gallon, bowfront tank, with a hood, light, canister filter, heater, and a pretty nice black wooden stand. It will be about $400 after tax.

I really could use the help making my decision. Any input would be nice. I like the extra space of the 55gallon, but I really like the look of the bowfront. Plus the bowfront comes with a nice stand and since I really don't know much about the two different filters, I don't know which one would be better.

And of course I am also considering the price difference, but I am afraid after I bought a stand for the 55gallon, it would cost as much as the bowfront.

Please help, thanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

A decent stand will run you about $150-200 with a canopy (the canopy makes the world of difference in my opinion).

Knowing the filters would be great, since they will most likely give you the greatest headache down the road if you don't have the best one. Keep in mind, you most likely will want more filteration than what is usually supplied in a kit, you don't know this now, but that usually ends up the case.... so figure in money spent there as well. From your description, it sounds like the rectangle comes with a hang-on-back filter, while the bowfront comes with canister... canisters are usually more expensive than similar HOB filters.

As for the shape, its purely preference.

Are they both glass, both acrylic, or one and the other... this will make a difference in value.

Dimensions play a big part too, even though the 55 gallon is a bit bigger, the bowfront might be longer, while the 55 gal rectangle might be deeper or higher (thus the higher gallon weight). This also is purely preference, but fish do like length (unless u keep angelfish like i do).

Also, for the first tank, when u said hood, did u mean light hood, or hood as in canopy covering the entire tank top?

Regardless, wait for a bunch of replies, which will come soon, there are MANY skilled and trustworthy people on here, they will chime in (ie. Saltwaterpimp, Peterkarig, Snowboss, Gumbii, to name a few).

robert95687

by robert95687

It depends on what kind of tank you are trying to set up. What kind of fish are you hoping to get? I have a bowfront and a rectangular tank. With a bowfront, you will need to have a centerpiece for the fish to swim around. With a rectangular tank, you can have several obstacles and you can change them around also. You want your fish to stay entertained and not get bored. You want to give them as much variety as is possible. I would recommend the rectangular tank. It is great for small and large fish alike. They can run laps in the long tank. If length is an issue, then go for the bowfront. Check your local craigslist also. I am sure you can find some great deals. Usually a 50 gallon is around $100. Buy your own filtration, a couple of bio-wheels, and some other decorations and you are all set, almost. Good luck.

snowboss

by snowboss

well thanks for the plug spongebob, I consider myself an amature at best, lol - - I agree that the majority of your posted issues are purely a choice in asthetics {what it looks like} and I also agree that by far the biggest "mistake" {and I use that term loosely as it isn't really a mistake} is filtration - -i use HOT filters {2 in a 20 gallon salt tank} and some people use canisters - the biggest difference in them being again asthetic - -the canister type filter can sit under the stand and you can put the tank closer to the wall - -i've heard they can be a little messy to clean if your not careful but they seem to be more adaptable to adding different medias - -peterkriag promotes them he'd be a good person to talk to - I prefer the bow front tanks {although i don't have one right now} only because i think they are better looking for livingroom displays - - - more furniture looking you know

probably the biggest piece of advise I can give from my expierience is - -no matter what comes in any "kit" it's going to be the minimum requirements for that tank size - -ie. min lighting, filtering, pumps, covers, etc etc - - it's just the way it is bud - - so money in - -i'd go the least expensive and then add quality equipment as you can ..... good luck !!!! and welcome to this great hobby

fishee

by fishee

thanks guys. I ended up going with the 55 gallon tank. I actually found one for about $20 cheaper than I expected, so that money will go towards a filter upgrade.

snowboss

by snowboss

your on your way fishee - - -this addiction is worse than crack .....so im told, lol have a great time!!!!!!!!!

serial32

by serial32

nah, crack is real good

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

I would get the 55 gallon. Even though it is a little more pricey the nicer the tank is the better. Plus it is a little more roomy. Bow fronts are not that good as a rectangular aquarium because they kind of slope at the begging. Rectangulars are more nicer and a canister filter with one will make it absouletly clean. The only dis advantage is that it is a little more pricey. But if you have the money go for it. Also rectangulars last longer than bowfronts and less expensive

snowboss

by snowboss

he already went with the 55 -pleco ..gotta read the whole post before replying.... i dont understand your statement saying rectangular tanks last longer than bow front tanks??? the only reason for a bow front tank that I can see is asthetics and front viewing area - -other than that....a tank is a tank , Boss

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Snowboss he said he bought a stand for the 55 gallon. that does not mean he bought the 55 gallon. And don't be so rude to me. Pleco

HELP!!!!!!!

14 posts • Page 1 of 2