Simple question???

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Y4ND3L

Simple question???

by Y4ND3L

I need some help everybody. I have this one Melanochromis Auratus FEMALE about 3-4 inches already. In the tank i also have a Melanochromis Auratus Male as well about 5 inches. My question is how do you know when shes pregnant, how do they spawn, and what are the signs of her being pregnant?

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Does anyone know what kind of fish this is?

I don't.

Time for some research I'd say!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

"My question is how do you know when shes pregnant, how do they spawn, and what are the signs of her being pregnant?"

The Melanochromis Auratus is a Mbuna cichlid. Mbuna are mouthbrooders, which mean they hold the eggs/fry in their mouth until the fry is completly developed. . So, she really is not pregnant per say.

The spawn is a dance where they circle each other. The female releases eggs, then she picks them up in her mouth. She then nips at the egg spots of a male, and as she does the eggs get fertilized.

She will then hold the eggs in her mouth for 21 days, until the fry are completely egg free. She will not eat this entire time (but that is fine) and will most likely stay out of the way of the other fish.

So, to tell if she is holding her throat area will be swollen, and she will look like she is rolling something around in her mouth. If she is not eating and her throat looks big, she is most likely holding. Click on reply of this post to see a holding female.

Here is some good reading about how Mbuna spawn:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/103
11df4-PICT0014.JPG
1abdd-102_1577.JPG
d51c2-PICT0013 (2).JPG
0db95-PICT0013.JPG

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

YES thank you this really helped... so i guess she is pregnant...but my only question now is where can she release them ,does she need like a pot like the last picture or what????

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You don't need a pot like the picture. That female was in a 10 gallon tank while she held and it was there for her to hang out in.

Females will release their fry into the rock piles. The strongest/smartest ones will survive by hiding in the rocks and grabbing food as it floats by, avoiding the adults and the rest will get eaten. If you want to save them, you need to move the mom to a different tank by herself. She will then release the fry in there and they will not get eaten. Make sure you have a place that will take them from you before you save 20 fry tho, or you may find yourself with a bunch you cannot get rid of.

If I want some to survive I move the mom to my 10 gallon tank until she lets them go. I then move her back into the big tank after a day or so. All the 10 gallon has is a small rock pile, a pot for mom to hang out in and a fake plant. If I don't want the fry, I just leave her alone and she spits in the main tank.

Good luck!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

BTW, Your male Melanochromis Auratus is not an Auratus at all. Males are black and yellow, not blue and black. Not sure what he is, looks like a hybrid of some sort, but deffinatly not an Auratus. Stores will not take the fry the female is holding because they are hybrids, so unless you are keeping them for yourself, its better to let mom spit in the main tank.

Here is a Auratus profile to show you what the males look like:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=750

vwfan79

by vwfan79

The fish in question kinda looks like a Blue Johanni(Melanochromis Johanni)

Simple question???

7 posts