Discus

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

xcountryrunner10

Discus

by xcountryrunner10

How hard is it really, to keep Discus? I have not every heard the same answer so I'm a little confused.

volcom

by volcom

you need a tank of at least 55gal.
they are expensive. unless you buy them young. adults in canada ontario are around 100 each.
they need superb water conditions. you should change the water every second day or so.
and youd need a canister i would think.
it wouldnt be that hard if you just left the ground in the tank bare. because then there is no gravel for stuff you get burried. which will cause bad water conditions. (sorry for the lack of grammar...)
lets see.. they need a group of 5 or 6 i think...
and they are sensitive to water conditions.. like i said a billion times..

PS
dont really pay much attention to my advice. i just really wnated them before and realized my tank wasnt big enough,,, so all the info i researched was useless..
if you have the experince. time. money
go for it

volcom

by volcom

but. from what ive heard. if your a beginner. they aint for you

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Mildly acidic water, 80 plus degrees, at least 3(IMO) lots of hiding places such as plants, wood, etc, and great filtration. My water comes out of the tap at pH 8plus, so to get to 6.5 it takes lots of buffer, and I'm not too sure about the safety of buffers.

I fed mine live blood/black worms bought at the lfs which have to be kept in the fridge and rinsed daily.

I never changed my water every 2 days, but I had 4x the filtration needed and lots of live plants.

Discus

4 posts