African Cichlid Help, Please.

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ryand63

by ryand63

Hi, thanks for reading. I just started a 46 bowfront all african cichlid tank, mostly malawis. everything has been good now for a few months but just recently as in a few days ago, all my fish are in the two corners even huddled together sometimes which is weird for africans. they have not eaten well in a few days. Any suggestions please help!! my water conditions are right where they should be.
bbb85-0730090904.jpg

esparzar1

by esparzar1

First off, (if I'm reading it right) you need to adjust your number and mix of cichlids.

1. The Kenyi will get very aggressive. I would probably get rid of her

2. You should have at least 4 yellow Labs (1 M/3 F)if your keeping labs

3. The Electric Blue, are you talking about an Electric Blue Hap? If so, it will get way to big for a 46 gal.

4. The peacock should be okay in a 46 gal as long as you get rid of the aggressive fish. In fact, most people suggest peacocks in a 46 gal. over Mbuna

5. Some good options (if you go with Mbuna) in a 46 include: Saulosi, Cobue, Maingano, and Demansoni. These species will stay under 4in and will usually work in a 46 gal. However they don't work together.

You could do
A. 12 Demansonis
B. 4-5 yellow labs and 3-4 peacocks
C. 8-10 Saulosi.

you really don't have many options in a 46 gal, hopefully this helps.

ryand63

by ryand63

i like the idea of the yellow labs and peacocks, if i do not really care if they breed or not should i still have the 4 yellow labs?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

You don't have to have 4-5 but they like to be in groups of 4-5 with a 1M 3-4 F ratio (to spread aggression) but, you could always go with just one male and a few other single male Mbuna and have the rest of the tank be peacocks. You can make a very nice colorful tank with an all male Mbuna/peacock tank. I would make sure to do some research and go with very mild tempered Mbuna if your going to have peacocks with them.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

When they huddle up in corners and are shy of eating, that means you have one very aggressive fish that is picking on them. Watch to see who it is and return it to the store. My guess would be the Kenyi, they are mean fish. Mbuna really need to be in groups to feel comfortable and spread the aggression.. You have way too few in there.

ryand63

by ryand63

Thanks so much for the advice...now i ahve run into a nother problem, taking your advice i went and purchased another electric yellow to start accumulating a group of them and now the first one is relentlessly picking on the new one! What should i do? and they all huddle in the corner with some exceptions like the kenyi and a peacock. any suggestions please!!! more hiding spots, more fish???

esparzar1

by esparzar1

New fish will always get picked on, especially if you only buy one at a time. It's better to buy a few at a time to hopefully spread the aggression out a little bit. Your tank looks nice but I would definetly get more rocks. Mbuna means "rock fish" they love to hide in rocks and caves to claim the territory. The more, the better!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Yeah, I always bring home two new fish at a time, and if I can't, I rearrange the tank before I get a new one. That way the territories are broken up and the new fish has a chance to establish a spot.

Your fish are hiding up top in the "dead zone" because you don't have enough rocks for hiding spots and one fish has claimed the whole tank. You say only the Kenyi doesn't hide? That is the one who has claimed the tank. Get more rock in there asap! At the least 1 cave per fish, better is 2 caves per fish. What you have in there does not make caves, just passage ways. Look at mine and esp's profile pictures to see what I mean.

Also, Peacocks are not good with Mbuna and will get too big for that tank. You really should return it.

I posted a thread today that has a bunch of research links. You really should read some of them to figure out whats what with Mbuna.
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/3296

ryand63

by ryand63

thanks so much for the advice dizzcat, i wish i could return it but its been too long and i am not sure if they would return it for me. and secondly thanks for the advice with the caves, i put a pvc pipe in there to start and will figure out some more caves soon, is my rocks so far alright though? i will post a new picture soon

ryand63

by ryand63

oo yea and whats the deal with that dead zone? my peacock and synodontis hide behind my filter up top???

10 posts