sex of fish?????

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Y4ND3L

sex of fish?????

by Y4ND3L

Help anyone!!! I have this 6" inch Albino Oscar in my tank but i don't its sex?
Can anyone give me tips, hints, ideas or anything to figure out is it boy or girl please?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I don't know a lot about Oscars but I do know you can vent african cichlids with good results....flip the fish over (with a net or gloves....don't keep them out of water for more than 30 sec) check the dots on the bottom.

If they look like this o o :male the male should have the same size of openings on the bottom.
If they look like this o O :female the female will have a different size of opening.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/gender.php. Check this article out!

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

yeah that works but only for those fish. My oscar don't have dots so ill just keep researching!! thanks!!!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Sorry.....I didn't know forsure if it would work on SA cichlids. I'm sure there's something on the net. You could go to cichlid-forums.com and go under the SA cichlid forum and ask them. It's a really helpfull website.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Oscars are monomorphic, meaning the male and female look the same. Some claim you can tell the difference by looking at the coloration or the fins, but that information is incorrect. You can't sex an oscar by looking at it. The most reliable way to sex an oscar is to have a breeding pair or to catch a female when she is laying eggs. Sorry, that's as good as it gets.

Z

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

wow i did not know that, Well shes just a he\she then lol..thank you!!!

sex of fish?????

6 posts