What do you think my betta has?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

My betta, Axl, has been sick. At first I thought it was popeye, now I'm not sure. The first night he was on the bottom with very large, I mean LARGE eyes, and not moving. I thought he was dying and I was close to euthanizing him. My gut told me to wait. I medicated with Maracyn-TC (for Popeye, Gill Disease, Fin and Tail Rot). The next day he was swimming around and he ate. He's doing much better and eating every day.

It's been about 4 days now, but he has also developed a strange thing on his head. I say "thing" because it is hard to describe. His eyes are still too large, but now it looks like his scales are either raised or there is something white on his head. It isn't fluffy like fungus. I've been medicating every day, like the package says. Does this sound like anything you've seen? Axl is my favorite fish...

Z

zambize

by zambize

Click reply to see a picture of Axl's head and eyes.

Z
3501a-axl.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The poor baby!

I have no clue. Out of the 3 years I have been keeping fish, I have only had one outbreak of ick. Never had to deal with anything else before. I hope you figure it out in time!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

do you dose his tank after every water change with salt? my girlfriend and I still have one that we neglected a lot in its first year here. It was stuck in a fishbowl and didn't get water changes nearly as much as it should have. Before moving it to our 10gal I gave it some freshwater and a full dose (per amount of water) of salt and the popeye and several other problems cleared up within 3-5 days. It looks as though yours has popeye on its right side. Not sure whats going on on his head. How old is the fish?

zambize

by zambize

Axl is about 6 months old. I don't dose with salt. Perhaps I'll try that if it doesn't start to clear very soon. The thought of salt seems so *abrasive*!

Thanks,
Z

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Hadn't been using salt either in his bowl, and I'm sure it would be abrasive if you grabbed him and threw him in the salt container, but if you're concerned about his curiosity putting him directly in the line of fire (as some of my fish do sometimes - doesn't seem to bother them) put the dose of salt in a cup, add water, and dissolve it before you add it to the tank.

Scouts honor his pop-eye cleaned up remarkably fast. Might not help with anything else as much as maracyn would have though.

I like melafix and pimafix for more complicated abrasions/infections/etc. They take longer to treat and things take longer to heal (to an extent) but both are all natural extracts.

zambize

by zambize

It looks like Axl's ailment has cleared! I'm very pleased. :)

Z

7 posts