planted/fresh tank

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kei9th

planted/fresh tank

by kei9th

i did the salt thing and while i love salt because the fish are vibrant in color, my wife wants to take my newly acquired 110 gallon tank and make it a planted tank with fish. sorta like a fish only live rock but with fresh. my question is with salt my fish were usually very active, most freshwater fish don't seem to be so active. is there a recommendation on the kinds of fish that would not only be colorful but also active. with a tank of this size would it be easier to have bigger fish to start or get a good mix of large and small but make lots of hiding places. i really want alot of movement of fish, because that mostly why i do this is to watch fishes swim.

zambize

by zambize

Tiger barbs and neon tetras. I have some of each of these in my 55 gallon and they keep me entertained. Among other fish, of course.

Z

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I agree with that. Tiger barbs are great. Always playing tag and follow the leader among other things.

One of my favourites will always be clown loaches. Mine like to lie on their sides and "play dead" ... they think they're pretty funny.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

School of longfinned zebra danios. Also hyper swimmers.

zambize

by zambize

Clown Loaches are a good idea. Not too many people have a big enough tank to house the proper numbers. They like to be in a school of at least 6. That would be great fun to have 6 of those guys. And you wouldn't have a snail in sight.

Z

zambize

by zambize

How about a Rainbow Shark?

1 Rainbow Shark
9 Tiger Barbs
6 Clown Loaches
25 Long-finned zebra danios
25 neon tetras

Very colorful, active, funny --- you would not be bored.

Darrien

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

also check out the rummynose variety of tetra. I'm particularly fond of them, and something called Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (better known as sidthimunki loach) they're rare but if you can find them at a fair price they're great in schools of 6 or more. Lots of fun. I paid $10 a fish for these guys.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ya ... idthimunki

The danios are very busy fish, and would probably be less risky than tiger barbs though the barb's aggression is minimal when schooling in the number Z recommended.

planted/fresh tank

7 posts