HelpChoose - Fish Community

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

d0tehdew

by d0tehdew

Hello everyone!

I have just purchased my first aquarium. I have a 47 Gal Column tank which i bought at http://op5.triadinet.com/elmers/nlcatal ... depts2.asp (the actual store not online) Right now I have a simple fake plant and green hollowed out tree stump in the tank. I plan on adding a nice piece of driftwood that branches out to the top of the tank and maybe a shelf halfway up not sure yet.

The tank has a bottom filter with power heads.. 3 stage biological filter.. and white light at the top. All bacteria, salt, chemicals have been added to the tank etc... etc...

I have setup the tank and let the water cycle for about 36 hours now I am in the hunt for starting my tank.

I was first interested in starting with some Tiger Barbs and some rainbow sharks. But after doing some more reading and not sure if I have enough hiding places for these fish I figured I would ask for some opinions.

I like active fish.. colorful is not really a necessity but is nice.

I was also reading that their are some communities that you can put in with a tettra and that really interested me as well. So please help me with some suggestions!

Thanks!
-Dan

d0tehdew

by d0tehdew

I ended up going with 3 phantom tetras and 1 rainbow shark. They seem to be taking to the tank very well.

The rainbow shark now known as Silvester is a crazy SOB. All he does is go up to the power head and try and swim into the current and then gets knocked back to the glass..

The fish don't seem to be fighting at all and have been fed a little bit.. they seem to enjoy the little pellets the pet store gave me.

zambize

by zambize

Salt? Those fish don't need salt. Could be why your shark is behaving like a crazy SOB. Don't add anymore salt and do a water change pronto. BIG water change.

Also, stay away from schooling fish. Fish in general prefer to swim back and forth, not up down, but especially schooling fish.

Sharks are cool, but extremely territorial, so keep your overall numbers low. He'll probably prefer mid to bottom, but with salt in the water he may try to go near the top to get away from the salt, who knows.

Z

d0tehdew

by d0tehdew

The instructions given to me by the aqaurium store were to maintain 1 tablespoon of salt per every 5galons of freshwater.

The guide that i used was http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c102setupinstructions.htm
#10 in the guide.

zambize

by zambize

That guide is highly disputed, by many...including many fish. lol You should start another thread on whether to use salt. Many fish are harmed by salt. You are creating a "brackish" environment, which some fish thrive in, but many do not, including the fish you have chosen.

Z

5 posts