ich treatment - new fish

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

paconubbins

ich treatment - new fish

by paconubbins

Had a very unfortunate episode with ich. I set up a new tank in February and after some trials with cycling finally got the water chemistry all worked out. I had 8 Serpae Tetra with me from the beginning and they survived the process with little obvious stress. Once water chemistry had been running smooth for a month I added an angel fish. Everything continued running smooth and I added a plecostomus. Within a week or two I noticed white spots on one of my 8 tetras. I immediately ran to the store and bought Coppersafe and treated the tank. A few days later all the tetras had ich and looked bad. I began treating with an anti biotic from the same mfg as Coppersafe. Packaging says both products can and should be used together. Unfortunately the tetras didn't make it. All 8 died within a few days. My question is whether or not to replace while the ich treatment is active (30 days) or wait awhile and then add more fish. I'm also interested in any thoughts as to the high mortality in my tetra community. I thought I might loose a few but not all. For what it's worth, the angel and plecostomus seem fine. Thanx for any input.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Well I don't have any knowledge on the topic, new to this, but I am sorry to hear about your tetras. I don't know why, but with the exception of te obvious ich infestation, I had a similar death spree of glowlight tetra. I mean the tank has Neon tetras and Angels, but all but 2 of my 8 Glowlights just bit it over 3-4 days time. The only thing I can think of is a certain stress level in the comunity of like species because of the deaths that started from the Ich?

Hope everything works out for ya :)

JB

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

Sorry 4 your loss! i know what its like to loose your fish 2 a diease.
In the past, i have been lucky with my fish when it comes to dieases. After loosing some fish of my own, i joined this site and i have learned alot when it comes to fish...
But with exprence, i found that you must always have 2 fish meds at all times.
Melafix and Pimafix.
These are like the Hot tea and honey/lemon of the fish world.
tHEY fix everything, and they are all natural, so they dont mess up your filter/water. I use them both at the same time, and i have heald fish from many dieases with them.(except for malawi bloat)
I use half the directed amount of each when adding new fish to prevent problems, and treat for 3 days, then do a water change. Also adding 2 tablespoons of aqur. salt with each water change helps alot too.
I would restock slowly, bout 3 fish at a time. Also be carful where you buy your fish. Check out the other fish and the tank b4 making a purchse.
Hope this helps!
JazzyD

paconubbins

by paconubbins

Thanx for the sympathy. It's pretty tough watching things spiral out of control and not have the remedy. Guess I'll buy the Melafix and Pimafix. I've been looking to add more fish and plan to do it slowly but I'm not sure when to add the new guys. On one hand maybe it's best to add them while the ich meds are present so that I'm covered in case they are infected. On the other hand, it'll be stressful enough on everyone when adding new fish so maybe the ich meds need to run their course and wipe out whatever is left before I add more fish. Is there a right way to do this?

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

ADD carbon to your filter. You can buy it in a sheet or roll and cut it to fit whatever filter you have if you dont already have a spot for it. also do a 50% water change, and your tank will be ready in 2 days. I use primer wth my water changes and a bit of salt. Then i regulate the ph a little, day by day. It works for me. Good luck!

zambize

by zambize

Antibiotics do not work on Ich. Ich is a parasite. Melafix and Pimafix will not work. Find a product called Clout. It is very strong, your are not supposed to even touch it with your hands. I found out that it is what Petco uses to treat their Ich outbreaks. I've used everything my lfs' carry and nothing has worked for me in the past. So far I've had best results with Clout. You may have to order it from Dr.s Foster and Smith or Petsolutions.com, but you should have some on hand at all times and medicate as SOON as you see any white spots. I wouldn't be without it. Whenever you are medicating, always remove the carbon from your filter and replace it about 24 hours after you are finished medicating. Carbon removes medication from the water.

Z

ich treatment - new fish

6 posts