FIGHTING

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

beachywoman

FIGHTING

by beachywoman

I noticed that 2 of my fish had either white growths or damage to their bottom lips. I researched diseases and could not really find anything. Last night I saw my 2 Flamebacks fighting at the top of the water. They looked like they were lip locked! They are both males. Is this fighting and if so is this normal or do i need to try to eliminate it?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I believe they wrap their lips around the other fish which shows their dominant side.

these fish for the most part can be quite territorial. best thing to do is have plenty hiding places, caves, plants (if live, they must be potted or else the fish will attempt to uproot the plants)

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/i ... seases.htm

this is an excellent site to diagnosis any fish disorder and gives the appropriate remedy

best advice I can give you for the fish is make sure there is plenty hiding places for these fish are highy territorial

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I looked at your pic, though the tank looks very nice you may still want to put in some more caves. You can use slate or something like that to create a shelf like structure where the fish can go in different parts to hide

also when they do breed, and these fish I believe spawn at very young ages, their aggressive qualities come out. so either get more plants or caves or both

hope this helps

FIGHTING

3 posts