How far can fish travel safely?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

So, I've thought about traveling to Dallas/Ft. Worth area in hopes that I can find some better selection of fish. I live in a small town where getting a good selection of Cichlids is nearly impossible. I could possibly get fish via mail but shipping rates are ridiculous. So, my question is, is it feasible and safe for a fish (cichlid) to travel in a bag/car for two hours? Has anybody done anything like this? Any help is appreciated.

Cross6236

by Cross6236

Yes esparzar it is feasible for you to transport fish 2 hour. Just make sure you let them know you have a long trip home. they will package them better and w'more oxygen. Where abouts in Tx do ya live? I live in Wichita Falls. I've make trips down to Dallas for fish and supplies.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Cross,
Holy freakin cow......me too!!!!! Small world, yeah so anyways it should be okay to go down to DFW area!? Thanks for the help!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with cross...tell them, add as much oxygen more so than usual into the bag or you can buy a 21/2 gallon tank, place a battery operated air pump on a shelf on the side of the tank and run the airstone in the tank which wil also provide enough water surface agitation which in turn will provide the oxygen in the water column

do whatever fits your aim

4 posts