Rainbow vs. Red-tipped shark?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Question, I’m looking at getting a shark (either a rainbow or red-tipped) in the near future to add to my 55 gal. It’s going to be a Cichlid tank and I would like to add a shark to give a little “pazazz”. I don’t know which one to get. From what I’ve read, it seems like either one should be okay in a cichlid tank.

I know the red-tipped is more of a scavenger, likes to really jump, and has more vibrant colors.

I know the rainbow might be a little better for compatibility but, at the same time it’s not as pretty.

Any suggestions? What have you all done in the past? Is it even feasible to put a shark in with cichlids? Do you recommend one over the other?

My tank (once its set-up) will have yellow labs, red zebras, and probably acies. Any help/thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have a big 5" Rainbow shark in with mine. Its the black with red fins type and everyone always notices him. They say "whoa! Is that a shark?" "Fluffy" holds his own with the ornery cichlids, even chasing them from time to time. Never has a fin nip on him. Works good at the food that falls in the cracks too. My tank has been cleaner since getting him. He is out and about all day long, not nocturnal at all.

Hit reply on this post to see him hanging with the Africans :-)
93016-100_1326.JPG
1ab9c-100_2242.JPG

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Personally I'm more partial to the Red Tail thought I think they're a bit more aggressive then the Rainbow. However because I have no prior experiences with cichlids I can't inform you well on the match I can just tell you which one I can root for.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I'm actually now looking at the Albino Rainbow Shark. Still really undecided on what to get. I think any of the Sharks will be fine and hold there own but, I want the one that look best in my tank.
So with a solid black background and light sand (not white, but light) what would look the best?

Red-talied
Rainbow
Albino Rainbow

I really like the Albino but I think the red-tailed will look the best with my current set-up (see profile). What do ya'll think?

4 posts