high temp produces ammonia

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

does anyone know if high temperatures, like around 84-86 constant, produce higher levels of ammonia?

I read somewhere it does, but still unsure

reason I am asking is, if parasites etc are killed at higher temperatures wouldn't it produce ammonia which is truly bad for freshwater aquarium (and marine/saltwater too)

just curious

Cross6236

by Cross6236

I think that might depend on your bio-load also. I'm fighting this problem right now! My central air went out last weekend and it's not going to be fixed till sometime next week. My tank been running about 85 to 87. I've got fans on it to try cool it down, but in the Texas heat it dosen't do much. I haven't seen any spikes in my ammonia or nitrite, but my nitrate is running high. just did wc last night and my nitrate didn't go below 20.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I'm having the same problem living in Texas. Both of my tanks are running around 82 degrees. I know it's not terribly high but I usually keep both of them around 78. I can't cool them down due to the horrible Texas heat. Where I live, it's supposed to be in the low 100's all week. With that being said, I haven’t had any changes with my tanks (ammonia, ph, etc.) everything is reading fine in my tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

thanks for the response esparzar

not that anything is reading bad in the tank I have either, only posed a question about parasites. I read somewhere that parasites are killed off at higher rates with a higher teperature, but I also read somewhere that higher temperature produces higher ammonia levels

from your experience esparzar, it sounds like I need to either do more research and learn from your experience alone, and leave it at that

still, thanks for teh responses

hail to us fish hobbyists aka chemists aka biologists

4 posts