Eheim Classic Canister Filter

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

My grandma wants to upgrade her aquarium and the equipment too. After reading up on filters it seems like the Eheim Classic Canister filter would be great since she absolutely hates the noise of whatever cheapo filter she's got now.

Her 2 15gal tanks are in terrible shape and Im really glad shes making the upgrade. So Id like to help her out and pitch in for the new filter but I may not be able to get it from Dr.Foster and Smith....shipping to Canada may be a hastle.

Any other Ideas as to where I might pick up a good quality filter? if the Ehime is not available here Im willing to go for something similar. Petsmart is useless....been there. The smaller pet stores dont have much in the way of advanced filters....just the basics. I just need a jumping off point...even another brand I can look into. Im not scared to do the research...but i need to know where to go from here.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I just bought the EHIEM classic 2213 for my 55 gallon. I love it. I must say, it's not as quiet as I thought it would be but, the water flow is amazing! I would look at getting it at petsmart online. I looked around everywhere and found petsmart to be the cheepest. I know the shipping is a flat rate of $5.99 but I don't know if it applies to Canada

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... erralID=NA

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

checkout marinedepot.com, or maby big al's, thats where i shop localy, but i kno they have a site too.
good luck!
P.S them ehiem classic is GREAT!

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Dr.fosters and smith got back to me...they will ship it to canada...for like 170$ so forget that. bummer.

thanks for the quick responses everyone! I'll check out the other suppliers.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Ooooo! Petsmart will ship it via Purolator Ground Service for $21.92! Thats awesome! However....I cant find the carbon inserts for the 2213....will another one work?

josmoloco

by josmoloco

carbon is useless for a healthy freshwater aquarium. The only thing it is good for is removeing medications and tannins for water. It loses its effectiveness in a couple of days. fill the extra tray with bio media. I run my 125g 55g 15g and 5g without carbon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RmNyM8RP-w

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

big als is on canada. thats where I go

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

checking out big als now. I'v never purchased stuff online before...i feel so old fashioned.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

big al's has an excellent assortment of river pebble and carries one thing all other fish online web sites don't: a bucket!

I bought a bucket, river pebble, and other things from them. Too bad about Dr Fosters shipping rate, for here in America, I always shop at Dr Fosters (my only source of fish products)

carbon will last about 6 weeks, it makes for clearer water, but this is about all...best thing to do is, like the other guy said, get some bio media material

now I use carbo in the Bio-wheel filters I have, but I also have bio-media in the Penguin 200's, and all I do is let the good bacteria adhere to the filters (pads), and I careless about the carbon

and yes, you will probably have to use whatever the filter recommend as its media, but again, some form of bio media is best

9 posts