Questions about breeding.

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

The pearl and gold gourami won't bother the smaller honey gourami.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Hrm, ok, would you happen to know about angelfish or red tail shark? I was thinking of keeping those fish with them, I'm not sure if the gold would suit that only because some have told me that they can get aggressive. I've read different information on dwarf though but I've never seen one about its aggression.

zambize

by zambize

I've seen articles that have mentioned the dwarf's aggression, and I've had multiple pairs and trios of them. They all turned aggressive when they matured, and they all got various diseases and died. They aren't very hardy. Especially the blue ones. A friend has tried multiple pairs and trios as well, with the same results.

I've had 2 red tail sharks at different times. I thought they were great fish, they even eat a little algae for you. You need a large tank for them though. They only get about 4", but they are very territorial and they will stake out a good-sized area and claim it as their own, harassing any fish entering it. Aside from that, you must also have the right tankmates for them. You absolutely can't have any fish with similar coloration or shape. Mine would even chase otocinclus because they are shark-shaped. If you provide the right environment, they will co-exist in a community and be interesting fish.

I've had angelfish, too. I have one now. You either need to have many of them, or one of them. They are very aggressive toward each other, to the point of killing one another. My friend didn't believe me and got only 3 of them. In a week she was down to one. It is quite alright to have just one. The right environment is a BIG tank, they get very large, especially in height so they need both a long and tall tank. Also, you have to be careful and not have any other fish that even MIGHT nip fins because their beautiful fins will bring out the worst in any fish with a propensity for fin-nipping. I have a single angelfish in a 4 foot long, 55 gallon tank with very passive fish (3 pearl gourami, 2 groups of schooling fish, and various bottom dwellers) and she is doing fine. Queen of her domain. Just the way she likes it. They generally don't like their own kind, unless there are so many they just give up the fight.

Have you considered Bolivian Rams? I have a 30 gallon tank with 3 of them in it and they are endless fun. They are cute, colorful, small and you can keep other fish with them. You need to keep at least 3 because they are aggressive with each other, but it's really just "poking", never injuring each other, and their behavior is just hysterical to watch. One of my favorite tanks to just sit and watch. A fun and visually beautiful setup for your 30 gallon tank would be 5 Bolivian Rams, 11 neon tetras, and 7 Julii Corydoras. It would be more fun to watch than television....so much going on in that tank....you'd hurry home very day. It would just be stunning, in every aspect.

Z

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Hm...maybe I should forfeit Angelfish all together. I don't know though since nothing is set in stone until I get the fish xD. Maybe I should just stay with gourami for now then. Interestingly enough though many of the people I have discussed compatibility with said that dwarf gourami were ok, I mean maybe I should just stick with one dwarf, one pearl, and then pick out another type or something of the similar sort. I was kind of set on the red tail shark though, have you heard of the sharks having problems with Tiger-Banded Peckoltia? I'll come back again with more possible setups. Maybe I should start a new thread on compatibility lol.

zambize

by zambize

The red tail shark will have issues with any fish that enters its territory. I'm not familiar with Peckoltia. If it looks like a shark, the shark will have issues with it. You can try the dwarf, maybe you'll have better luck and get a good one, at least you know what to look out for. It wouldn't hurt to start a thread on compatibility. The issues I've mentioned are more for when one matures a bit. I'd say around 4-5 months.

Questions about breeding.

15 posts • Page 2 of 2