Questions about breeding.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

More or less I was wondering about anyone's experience in fish that bred by "accident". I'm thinking of getting more then one of the same type of fish for my coming 30 gallon but the problem is some of the fish I am planning to get, it's hard to tell the sexes apart but I would rather them not breed just because I don't want to deal with the baby fish and it would be irresponsible of me to just kill them if they hatched without me noticing. I realize that its not a sure thing (about them even breeding) but just in case something like that happened what do you think I should do about the situation?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well in my case, I will give you the perfect example - I am sure other members in this forum will help you as well - I have red wag platies and red platies. Initially I bought 6, 2 red wag, 4 red platies. The female's underside is more rounded than the males.

Well in about 6 weeks time, I had a slew of fry (babies). Like I said, I started with 6, and in about 6 weeks, I was up to about 35 thriving new platies in a 55 gallon tank. It spelled disaster. I researched and researched...and then I found the perfet answer: African Dwarf Frog.

Let nature take care of its own. African Dwarf Frogs LOVE fish fry or anything type of live thing that they can get their mouths shaped around.

I bought 12 African Dwarf Frogs, and in about a week's time: no more fry. The babies they did exist before the frogs, the tinnie wiinie ones that were growing, thr frogs had them as dessert.

Nature will take care of its own if one knows which balances the other. Just like the trumpet snails I have, if I did not purchase Dwarf Chain Loaches, I'd have a snail tank, that is, thousands of tiny snails all over the tank. This loach (as any loach) loves nwborn snails. Bam, problem solved.

I hope you get the idea behind maintaining fish fry etc. It can be done if you research it.

I hope this helped you.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

also one other thing, the total red wag platies I do now have is 3, and the total red platies I have is 11, so it all worked out pretty darn well.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Oh, well aww I thought I could find another way other then having some fish or other animal eat the frys but I kinda figured this would be the answer. I'll keep researching to see if I can figure out any other methods but this will probably be similar to the end method I'll have to use. If anyone else has an input as well it would be greatly appreciated. I just feel so bad for the baby fishies =(

zambize

by zambize

Enlighten us as to what kind of fish you are getting. Maybe the odds of them breeding are really low and you won't have to worry about it. But if you do go ahead and you do have fry, your lfs may take them if they can sell them.

Z

rachie

by rachie

Well I was thinking of getting angelfish and from what I've read it can be somewhat difficult to tell the sexes. I was also going to have some dwarf gourami and pearl gourami but I'm not sure if I'll have more then one of the gourami.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

angel fish are not the easiest ot breed, there conditions have to be perfect, and the have to pair up on there own, normally if you get 1 male and 1 female they may not pair up and never spawn, they need a very haevily planted tank, and the are extreamly picky about where they lay there eggs, aif it is not at the right angle that they like they will not lay the eggs, and many times even if they are a breeding pair they will go through about 5 spawns before they are successfull.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Oh yay =] well i suppose that is a good thing, i hope the gourami that I want also have something similar since the fish that I picked out all seem much more sensitive and particular about their water. Well that will be a relief then if they don't end up breeding.

zambize

by zambize

I don't think your selected fish will breed. I am familiar with both, and currently have both. I would skip the dwarf gourami. They are prone to illness, especially the blue ones, and they get aggressive in maturity. They may nip your angelfish. The pearl gourami are an excellent choice. They are among the most beautiful and most passive of the larger gourami. You can also tell the sex fairly easily. The males will have orange on their throat area. Sometimes a very passive male may not show his color though. You can get a mix of males and females, BUT you must keep the ratio of 1 male to 2 females. Or you can get 2 or more females. You can also get one pearl gourami, they are fine solo. Gourami are like betta, they breath air and they'll hang out in heavy cover near the surface, so be sure to provide some. You may even see a bubble nest if you have a male and he's really content. Gold Gourami are also beautiful and just like the pearl gourami. If you like the dwarf gourami, try out the honey gourami, they are small, only about 2", but not prone to being nasty like the standard dwarf gourami.

Z

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Oh, that's a good idea. I've heard various things about different types of gourami but I didn't know that a dwarf gourami could be aggressive. I'll most definitely look into the honey gourami, they sound like a better match other then the size difference hehe. Hopefully that won't be a problem though. Thanks for that info ^_^.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2