Question on small tank fish

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

USAFProud

by USAFProud

Hello folks, I'm new to the forums but this site seems like a good community for aquarium knowledge. Anyway I was just wondering if there was a specific type of fish that does well in small fish tanks, between 1-5 gallons, preferably on the low end. To be blunt I'm looking for a decorative fish thats easy to take care of, from my own research a male betta fits that fairly well, i was just curious if there were any other options.
I do plan on upgrading to a full aquarium setup once i reach a permanent duty station(I am enlisted in the united states air force, space systems operations apprentice, bloody long and challenging training program so it will be several months) When I was a kid my father had a 150 gallon saltwater aquarium, and i had my own 50 gallon cichlid setup which my brother and I maintained together, so its easy to see why I'm interested in begining my own aquarium setup :) even if it is just a betta fishbowl to give my dorm room some life besides endless study materials :)
Thanks for reading and any for any info you might share :)

zambize

by zambize

A betta is really the only reasonable option if you're staying on the low end. But, Bettas can live for several years and this sounds like a more temporary thing for you, unless you'll be at your duty station that long. Bettas can be easier to care for than some other fish, but with a tank that small, you'll need to change the water several times a week. Smaller doesn't mean less maintenance. In fact, smaller often means more maintenance. A smaller volume of water gets mucked up much faster than a larger volume of water. Kudos to you though for doing research first.

Z

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Zambize is very correct. Betta's are a great option and fun to watch especially if you keep them happy =]. Another option can be african dwarf frogs, you could get a few of those depending on the size of the tank. Also very small schooling fish such as zebra danios or cardinal tetra's. There actually are a few options you can go with depending on the tank but remember not to overfill your tank ^_^. Also remember you can mix and match sometimes =]

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

see if you can get a 5 gallon tank - people on this forum, for the most part, know I frown upon tank less than 40 gallon, but I've learned to live with reading posts under the 40 gallon plateau (((frowns))) - a 5 gallon at least can you get a couple fish, and as rachie said, zebra danios may be a good bet.

I have 8 zebra danios. They will definitely keep you amused with their charm. Very playful, chasing one another. Also they do not breed as easily as other fish. Beings they are very slim and only grow to about 3" long, for a 5 gallon tank, 2 zebra danios would be a perfect scenerio for you.

USAFProud

by USAFProud

Thank you for the quick replies :)
Seems like I can just barely fit a 10 gallon tank in the spot i had in mind, so I think I'll start with some smaller schooling fish and go from there. I'll have to see what's available in my area but tetras and zebrafish come to mind.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

zebra danios are very hardy. If you get 2 no more than 4 for a 5 gallon tank, you should be okay with these fish. They do best in a school of 8, but 8 zebra danios in a 5 gallon tank can create disaster cause the fish poop will cause too much ammonia in the water column which can cause stress for even these hardy fish.

So 2 zebra danios is perfect but if you want a little more movement in the tank, get no more than 4 zebra danios. They can handle most water conditions, and these little guys can live up to 5 years. Plus they can cycle your tank much better than other fish cause they are a hardy fish.

zambize

by zambize

I have to disagree with the idea of small schooling fish such as danios or tetras. They are *schooling* fish and are unhappy and stressed in numbers less than 6 or more. I think it is cruel to put them in a situation of being in a small tank with only 2 of them. In the wild, they school because of their survival instinct. It reduces their chances of predation and increases their chances to breed. They still have this instinct in a tank whether they were wild caught or tank raised and to keep only 2 or so is not only cruel, but you won't see the wonderful behaviors they are known for. A betta is a far better choice.

Z

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Well Zambize is correct that schooling fish usually like to be in larger groups. However, I've seen plenty of small schooling fish that are happy in groups of 3 or 4. Personally if you go with schooling fish i would say get more then 2 at least because with only two, usually you just have one chasing the other and sometimes it can stress that fish out. If you have 3 usually they can change around roles it seems and you can probably get away with putting about 5 in a 5 gallon, its not too bad as long as you are good with changing water once a week. Probably just 10 - 20% is fine each week. Also I've read that in schooling fish its best to keep them in odd groups to keep them from pairing or something like that but I'm not too sure on that so don't take my word, I just recommend more then 2.

zambize

by zambize

Another problem with schooling fish in such a small tank is that they really like to swim, and there is very little space to swim back and forth in a small tank. Bettas are very slow-moving fish and a 5 gallon is more suited to slower moving fish. I would think the lightening-fast zebra danios would go crazy in a 5 gallon tank. Still seems like a bad idea to me.

Z

rachie

by rachie

I guess its a possibility Z but I do have a few friends who have a small tank with a few of them in there and they seem very happy. They like to play "tag" all the time and it seems the lack of large area doesn't make a difference, they just swim in more circles with each other. =P But I can't count out the possibility that it could still create some problems such as overcrowding.

18 posts • Page 1 of 2