Compatibility

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Kelltic

Compatibility

by Kelltic

Hello! I'm new here and to the aquarium world. The exact count and type of critters I have are listed on my profile (it's a pain to type them all!) I was wondering if anyone could please tell me weather a Betta and Tetra's are compatible. I had put my Betta, Oscar, in the tank when it was relatively new, with a small school of Neon Tetras and they started to eat his tail. I took him out and put him back in his tiny little loner tank with medicine and he was fine. He's all healed up and it's about 4 months later. I recently put him back in and everyone seems to be getting along. I hated to see him all alone. Does anyone have an idea if they'll leave him alone now that there quite a few other, different fish. I also added more plants and a few more hiding places. Thank you for your help and opinions.

-Kell

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Can't see your profile. What do you have with the Oscar? Your Betta and tetras are going to get ate very soon as the Oscar will eat everyone as it grows.

I have never seen Neon's fin nip, even slow moving fish. Sure it wasn't the Oscar picking at it?

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

I think the betta's name is Oscar...

Its unusual for neons to nip at other fish like you've described, but it really is something you simply will need to monitor. If you see it happening again I guess you'll need to relocate the betta again.

miami754

by miami754

That's funny. I thought there was an Oscar in with the betta as well, but after your post, Cedric, I went back and reread and you're right - it was the name. That's hilarious. I guess I should read more carefully from now on. :)

esparzar1

by esparzar1

My betta has no problems with my neons. They should leave him alone now that you have more fish in the tank. How many neons do you have?

I have a female betta and she's the boss of my entire tank. No one messes with her :) You should be fine!

Kelltic

by Kelltic

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, the Betta's name is Oscar. Here's the rundown of my 30gal tank:
1 Betta, named Oscar
1 Emerald Cory Cat, named Waldo
11 Neon Tetras, 8 of which are Do, Ray, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do (the rest are un-named as of yet)
5 X-Ray Tetras, one named Squishy (b/c she is FULL of eggs) and one is Swimmy.
2 Red Wag Plattys (no names yet)
1 Dwarf Gourami, named Grumpy (for obvious reasons... ) So 21 fish all together.
My son is 10 and has named these litle guys. We really have enjoyed them! I can't tell if I have two male Plattys. Is there an easy way to tell? I will try to take pics soon and send them so you all can see it. Thank you again.

-Kell

esparzar1

by esparzar1

You have a good mix of fish for compatibility.
I would look at adding one more Gourami and maybe 2 more cory cats. Gourami's do better in pairs and cory's are actually a schooling fish

dizzcat

by dizzcat

With any kind of livebearer fish, Platy, Guppy, Swords you can tell a male from female by their anal fin (the one on the belly) If it fans out it is a female, if it is like a rod and does not fan out its a male. Males can move their fins sideways too. Females just fan theirs out.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'd keep a close eye on him. Neons are usually peaceful fish, but the long fins of a betta can be too big a temptation. There really aren't many fish that are truly compatible with bettas and they tend to do best all by their lonesome. Don't feel bad for him. He is not a social fish.

Check out this other forum. They have a section just for bettas: http://www.fishforums.net/

Kelltic

by Kelltic

Thanks again for all the advice. I was planning on getting a few other Corys but I'd read that Gourami's are not suitable tankmates with other Gourami's. I would love to get another. He's really pretty!

Compatibility

11 posts • Page 1 of 2