My new planted tank -- feedback please

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

This is my second planted tank ever. I'm a total newb with planted tanks. Sorry about the picture...it is hard to photograph a long tank. It is a 20 long with Eco-complete, Malaysian driftwood, black rocks, Amazon Sword, Anubias Nana, Java Fern, Red Lily, Walkerii Crypt, Dark Red Jungle Val, Broad Leaf Chain Sword, and Ludwigia Repens. The plants are new so you'll have to imagine them beautifully mature!

The tank is cycled and about 2.5 months old, but the driftwood, rocks, and plants were added about 2 days before the picture. The tank was cycled without fish in about 10 days. For livestock I currently have 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 6 Pygmy Cories, and 3 Otocinclus. I will probably add one Beta.

Z
FINs to ya'
bcc78-fish 011.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

That looks really nice Z! I love the black substrate and the dark wood against the green! I bet a pair of SA cichlids would enjoy that space!

zambize

by zambize

Thanks dizz! Isn't a 20 too small for cichlids?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Since it is a long you could do a couple small dwarfs, like the German Rams. For them its your foot print more than height. Some of the Apistogramma stay very small at about 2-3". You could get a pair and let them spawn. I have been thinking of setting up a 20 long and getting a pair of the German Blue Rams for it. I was watching some at the store just now and I am so in love LOL. I had my Bolivians in a regular 20 gallon for 2 years and they spawned regularly for me. Don't get more than one male and one female tho, its too small for them to share.

Here is some profiles of the different dwarf SA cichlids:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/c ... php?cat=30

zambize

by zambize

Oh yes, I forget rams are cichlids. LOL. I have 3 Bolivian Rams in a 29 gallon with a Paradise fish and 4 Badis. Funny you should mention this...I've wanted to breed Apistogramma Caucatuiodes for a while. Now isn't a good time though. I just got 7 neons for it and I'll probably add a beta and that'll be it, but the cockatoos are next... Do you think Cockatoos would breed in super hard water with a pH of 8.0? Or would I have to do R/O water?

Z

5 posts