I am a newb

31 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jliddiard09

I am a newb

by jliddiard09

Can you guys go check out my pics on my profile and tell me what you think? It is my very first tank. Thanks

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Well one thing I can tell you, as I made the same mistake, is that having only one Tiger Barb is bad news. They get all aggressive. Also, just 2 neon tetras is kind of rough. They like to be in a school of 6 or more. Other then that what size is the tank? 20 gallon? I am also curious of what kind of filter you use. I ask because the recommendation for a 20 gallon is like 120 gal/hr on a filter and the petstore will gladly sell you one that does a little over half that.

I am new to this myself, so I am in no position to give good advice, but I have earned a few lumps so far that I can help with. :)

JB

jliddiard09

by jliddiard09

I only have a 10 galloon tank. I had three tigers, two die and i had four neons and two die

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Your tank is too small for those fish, a 20long or a 29 or a 30 would be much better. Tiger barbs and neons need to be in a school and are not the best tankmates for angles, as the barbs will nip the angles and the angles may eat the neons. Oh, natural gravel would be nicer. How often do you changr the water?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Jos is right, the tank is way too small for what you have. The Angel will outgrow it and start to swim sideways (mine did that in a 20 gallon) and when your Kribs mature they are going to fight. In such a small tank the female will have no place to go when he starts to pick on her. Plus, they will pick on the Angel too when they get sexually mature. I would re-home them or get them a bigger tank if you want to keep them. Kribs get to be about 4" big and they will get too big for that tank. They also will probably get too aggressive for the tank mates if they pair up.

Just giving some advice you asked for :-)

jliddiard09

by jliddiard09

Thanks alot guys...I going to get a 35 galloon tank here about another month. One that goes in the corner. I will move the angel fish over and probly leave the rest in the other one. What kinds of fish should i get when i get my new tank? remember i am still a beginner

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree, get a larger tank, 29 long would work, 40 long better...55 long (or if need be, high) is best for beginners.

you are losing your fish due to bad bacteria and depletion of oxygen. Fish do poop, and when you do not have enough good bacteria or when the bacteria becomes overhwlemed by too much poop, disease or bad water conditions begin, in turn, your fish die. Also with too much cramping, the oxygen level in the water column goes down.

And fish do grow...they do not remain babies forever, so you will either be forced into buying a larger tank or you will lose most if not all your fish.

Too many pics on this site that shows over-crowded conditions. It's like a terminal condition with some fish hobbyists. Fish are like your dogs and cats, they have needs. If your dog and cat did not have water to drink they die, if your cat and dog did not have proper shelter they runaway, if your dog and cat lived in a box for the rest of their life, it would eventually starve itself to death out of frustration or sheer loneliness. Your fish is no different, it needs good water condition, a proper diet, it needs light, water movement at the surface to provide oxygen, it needs proper playmates, in other words, you must achieve an ecosystem or balance.

Unless you are a 3 year old with a goldfish in a fish bowl that your mommy or daddy bought you for Christmas because it looked so cute in the cramped living conditions at a pet store at Walmart, you have no excuse to neglect your fish, invertebrates, live plants etc.

I can't tell you how many members on this forum would love to pick people like yourself and others and literally throw you into the Colrado River without a life jacket...then see if the water conditions suit your fancy.

Get it pal. This is a serious hobby. I am sure you would take your own life seriously if the waters gathered up around you...if you would place the same value on a fish's life you would have a wonderful experience in the fish hobby and you wouldn't have someone like me telling you: I told you so.

Get a bigger fish tank or get the heck out of this hobby. And do it now before you kill the rest of the fish in your tank. Shame on you!!!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

and by the way, forget the 35 gallon...go a little more and get the 55, you'll be happy that you did in the long run.

And before you begin getting fish, you need to do some research on what to get the tank before you even put a fish in the tank.

I can only hope the number "09" after your nickname is not your age. If it is, my apology...and if you are 9 years old, get your parents involved so you can get serious about this hobby. If you are not 9 years old, but over 18, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I do not mean to be a hard readend on this, but people treat fish like their at a fish market. Fish have personalties, they are able to be loyal to fish of their choosing and to the aquarist, fish are able to mourn (months ago I had a fish that was in the process of dying, she always hung with another red wag platy I still own, but the two of them would go everywhere in the tank, he would follow her everywhere, he would push all the other fish away while she was eating, anyway, there she was, at the bottom of the tank, dying, and he would brush up against her, attempting to nudge her to tell, come on, let's go for another swim..................and it's people like the one I am pissed off at that have no idea that fish do care about other fish; relationships do build inside that tank of yours

Just take it serious, okay pal? Or take the fish back to a local fish store and wash your hands of this hobby, get out and call it a day. This is all I ask, from you or anyone who does not take this hobby seriously.

jliddiard09

by jliddiard09

WOW yasherkoach, i am just starting out doing this. I would like to make it a hobby that is why i am on here. I am sorry if my tank is bad..I'm getting a new one. This is my very first tank and i think i am doing an ok job. 09 = 2009 the year a graduate from high school, which i do tomorrow.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well graduate with a bigger smile by purchasing a 35 gallon tonight...but I know this is asking for way too much...so as soon as possible, get that tank

when you get the tank, let this forum know, and we'll help you set it up...DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PURCHASE ANY MORE FISH UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL THE PRODUCTS FOR THE 35 GALLON!

now go, have a good time at the graduation ceremony (((smiles)))

I am a newb

31 posts • Page 1 of 4