biozyme

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

the57man

biozyme

by the57man

I just set up a 10 gal tank and used biozyme. How long will my tank be cloudy and yes, I did put in the right amount, 1 tablespoon per gal, ok? (Just kidding).

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

10 gallon tanks are hard to work with to begin with...larger the tank the better.

as far as cloudiness...it will settle naturally if you give it time. The bacteria in the water clumn must settle first, then the water will clear.

The first thing you will learn about this hobby is the less the better. Cut out all chemicals except for dechlorinator (water changes). Let the tank settle on its own. Also, I am unsure if you added fish or not, but if you do, buy a couple zebra danios, they are tough guys that can work around any water conditions.

Cut out the chemical. Let the tank settle on its own. Buy some water liquid test kits. Buy a couple zebra danios. Let the danios begin the cycling process. Poop creates ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate, wha-la, an establish tank a few months later. The cycle will take between 4-6 weeks. You can buy chemicals to speed the process up, but the whole purpose to this hobby is to enjoy your fish and the process of getting to know your fish and the environment. Take things slow, and it will be a lifetime hobby.

Words from the wise pal.

Happy fishing

the57man

by the57man

No fish yet but will get the fish you sugested. I do have an established 55g tank doing well. I have a good test kit. I agree with the less is better aproach. Thanks for the info.

zum14

by zum14

i agree with yasherkoach. ive tried the byozyme thing and ill tell you it did absolutely nothing for me. I had my original cycle take 4-6 weeks, and when i cycled my 125 i took some gravel from my 46 and put it in a nylon bag and threw it in the filter of the 125 and it cycled in 2 weeks, my best advice is to scrap the byozyme and grab a seed from your 55 be it filter sponge squeazings or gravel and throw it in your tank. itll have wayy better results for you. and yes get a test kit, there your best friend, its always better to know your water. I personally do the fishless cycle, theres some good articles on this site and others on how to do so and a test kit is a must for it and its good for teaching you all about water parameters before getting fish and it doesnt put your fish through the ammonia and nitrite spikes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

zum, that is an excellent suggestion: take some good bacteria rich gravel from the 55 gallon (establish tank), place it in a nylon bag, put it into the filter, and you will begin the process in a natural way. Also you can place clumps of the gravel into the gravel of the new tank.

You can go fishless, but it takes longer. I read in one of the books I own that if you place pieces of fish flake in the tank, the fishless cycle will go much faster. Though I am against a fishless cycle because I want to enjoy the hobby.

By putting 2 zebra danios in the tank...another 2 weeks pass by, another 2 zebra danios, two weeks more another 2 zebra danios, the good bacteria will accumulate gradually and consistently without spikes.

And yes of course, water test kits (preferably liquid). Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia are mandatory. PH, Alkaline, Hardness are secondary. Oxygen, phosphate and iron (if live plants) as supplements.

But you do have a 55 gallon establish tank, so what we are saying is probably old news for you. Just cut out the biozyme or any chemical, and go natural like with zum's suggestion, your own gravel.

Ahhhh, the most obvious.

the57man

by the57man

I put in some small Danios and will watch it close and I do have a liquid water test kit. Thanks for the info guys. I recently upgraded my lights from the two 15w lights to two 55watt aquarium lights. In the picture one half was done. I have since done the other side. made a world of difference and was able to use my existing hoods. I don't know if the picture posted.
6eb20-hood light.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

the pic looks very nice, if I see it, I will give it a 10 kudos......................just please stay away from the chemicals, okay pal?

biozyme

7 posts