I need fine gravel for my tank. Ideas??

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tchavera

by tchavera

I need to find some gravel that's very fine. I want something that isn't like the colored gravel at Petco or pebbles. I can't seem to find any and I'm not sure what it would be called. Something fine enough for an eel to burrow himself in. Thanks a lot!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

try pool filter sand. Sounds really crazy but it's fairly fine sand and really cheap (about $12 for 50lbs). You can find other fine substrates out there but, your gonna pay a lot more. You could also try some moon sand. Check my profile, I have moon sand in my 30 gallon and it's pretty fine sand. I have catfish and Kuhli loach's that love it!

tchavera

by tchavera

Does the moon sand mess with the pH? And does it ever get in the filter? Thanks

esparzar1

by esparzar1

It's never messed w/my PH. And I've never had problems w/it getting in my filter. I think it depends on what type of fish you have and also how close your filter is to the bottom. My filter is probably about 2 inches from the start of the sand and I've never had any problems.

tchavera

by tchavera

Alright I think I'm going to try it.. Thanks a lot

esparzar1

by esparzar1

No problems, look around for the cheepest before you buy. I found this one, it's only $12 for 20lbs
http://farm-and-pet.hardwarestore.com/1 ... googlebase

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You can also use play sand. They sell it at stores like Home Depot and Lowels for $2.99 a 50 pound bag. Just make sure you rinse it really well. I mean REALLY well! It is a white color and does not show the poo as much as the black sand. All my tanks have it. You can see my tanks in my profile.

The only thing with sand is in a cichlid tank you sometimes need to put your filter intake up higher than normal. I need to in my African cichlid tank, but in my planted tank with Bolivian Rams I don't need to because they don't dig like the Africans.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

my quickcrete play sand is a mix of grays , not white. I think it all depends on the collection site on what color it is.....

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Must be, because I have bought 3 bags so far and its all been white. There is no gray at all in mine. I have Qiukrete premium playsand.

zum14

by zum14

i have a play sand from home depot in my tank and its all browns. Be careful with pool filter sand as i was researching them when i made the switch and was told by all the manufacturers that there sand is sharp to help break down the organic material in the filters there made for. Just what i heard

10 posts