How drastic of a PH decrease does a DIY CO2 cause???

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alpha19298

by Alpha19298

I have a 10g tank that i just hooked up a DIY CO2 injection system to. I had a few q's about it that i was trying to see if some of you kind folk would be able to answer for me. My tanks PH was 7.5 before i ran the set up (3.8L bottle w/ 3" airstone @ bottom of tank inside a test tube). The set up is giving me tiny little bubbles inside the glass test tube which is placed horizontally and i get one big bubble to come out the test tube app. every 5-6 seconds.

1) app. how much of a PH decrease would be caused by CO2 injection with a bubble every 5 seconds?

2) should i keep it running all the time to prevent more PH swings?

3) should i run a air pump as well?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

1) app. how much of a PH decrease would be caused by CO2 injection with a bubble every 5 seconds?

It is a very slow change with a ten gallon tank maybe a little bit faster but a big bubble will probably have most of the CO2 lost and very inefficent CO2. It will go down depending on tank size and co2 setup it will vary. I would say from .2 to .5

2) should i keep it running all the time to prevent more PH swings?
don't stop co2 just leave it run it's easier to do and no harmful affects. As long as your fish are not on top of the tank barely swimming trying to get air.

3) should i run a air pump as well?
same as question 2. If your fish are trying to get air then too much co2 and need more oxygen but overall plants produce oxygen and LOVE co2. there for your plants grow like crazy and your fish get the oxygen like they need.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

"3) should i run a air pump as well?"

I have read that you should turn off your air during the day, and turn it back on at night. The plants use the CO2 during the day and produce oxygen at that time. At night they do not use it so the CO2 will build up draining the oxygen. I have a 30 gallon tank. I have my CO2 diffuser on one side and a bubble curtain on the other. I just leave my air on all the time to be safe.

Alpha19298

by Alpha19298

thanks for the 411 guys. i came to find out that my set up was getting a lot of foam from the brew, so what i did was put in a 16oz Snapple bottle as a 2nd collecting chamber with absolutely no fluid in it to trap the foam. I found that instead of putting the tubing directly into the bottle cap a ball point pen tube with some teflon (PLUMBER) around followed by the silicon seal is much more sturdier. got my fingers crossed, lets see what happens......

4 posts