?Plant Supplements?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alpha19298

?Plant Supplements?

by Alpha19298

Do plants need both under substrate ferts and liquid supplements or will one or the other work?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

It depends on what kinds of plants you have. Most stem plants grow roots out of their stems and take their nutrients out of the water column. Plants with big root systems like swords take their food from the soil and water. So, if you have stem plants and are just using root tabs you will probably starve the stem plants. If you only have plants with big root systems that go in the gravel, root tabs would probably be enough.

I have both kinds and just use the liquid kind so all plants get nutrients.

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Ditto dizzcat. For best result and to cover all bases you can use both; however I find it sufficient to just use liquid fertilisers.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

when I first got into this hobby, every 3 months I would push down into the gravel a Flourish Tablet plant fertilizer...but I now I refuse to use anything artificial.

Fish poop is instant fertilizer. Let the natural process do its thing. There is also good bacteria in the water column, the plant leaves will absorb these nutrients as well.

Let mother nature handle your plants...your main concern is water quality. You handle the water, and mother nature takes care of the rest.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree with C&C. You could probably get by on just liquid fertz (I use press tabs too mostly for the benefit of my amazon swords). Personally, i wouldn't depend on fish poop to meet all my plant's needs. Add CO2 for even better results!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I see Nat does not trust nature. Shame on you

If you don't trust nature to handle nature who can you trust. To know your tank well, to do as natural as possible, I am sure the inhabitants will be pleased...do you know what happens when chemicals are tossed in our rivers, streams, lakes and oceans? These waters do quite well without chemicals. Try it sometime, you may be surprised.

Fish poop has more nutrients in it than all the tablets in the world. I trust a fish's poop more than I trust some manufacturer who probably has no fish of their own.

My dogs outside fertilize the grass more than I could ever supply it with fertilizer.

Natural baby natural, it's the only way to go.

But I know some people like their teasure chests, C02 contraptions and chemicals...duck fish, the humans are coming!!!!!!!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

The chemicals that i put in my tank occur naturally in rivers and lakes. Unfortunately my tap water has been stripped of its nutrients, and doused with chlorine in order for it to be made fit for human consumption. So much for natural.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

what's that have to do with plant fertilizer

the only chemical I have to use which I cannot get around but I wish I could is dechlorinator. I use NovAqua+. Oytside of this, nothing except for 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt once a week (every Sunday).

Stay away from chemicals, the less the better. Natalie, get real.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Yash, you need to start getting real!

OK, I have a planted tank, if I do NOT use a liquid fert my plants turn yellow and start to die off! Next thing I know, I have dead leaves all over the tank, yellow, wilted plants that were THRIVING when I was using a "un-natural" fertilizer!

Hats off to you Yash for being able to put your tank in the right spot to go with natural lighting and such, but some of us humans that "don't trust" nature do not have that option!! My fish poop plenty, but my plants die without help! I have snails and all that, but I have to help nature along some to get my tanks the way they are! ALL of my fish spawn on a monthly basis, so I must be doing something right!

My tanks are VERY healthy, and I use "chemicals" and such to help it along!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well I read a lot of your posts dizz, and I won't play tug of war with you. It does work for you - I've seen your pictures, more power to you - I respect this...on the other hand or fin, it can work for I am proving it. Peterkarig - wherever he is these days - also went the fish poop way and his tanks are full of lush greenery.

All I am saying is it does work...but your choice pal. And if you do not "trust" mother nature, the choice is yours, I respect this. I truly do.

?Plant Supplements?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2