New tank setup

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Serial324556

New tank setup

by Serial324556

Hey everyone, haven't been on here in ages but I just uploaded a new picture of my tank as of April. It's still pending for my main profile pic but here it is. Let me know what ya think. Sorry about the quality it was taken with my phone.
41c7f-Fishtank May 09.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

That looks sweet Serial! How's the fish liking it?

Serial324556

by Serial324556

I think the convicts are still trying to take a liking to it but the pleco is lovin all the new hiding spots

zambize

by zambize

It's nice! I love driftwood. Just a suggestion though, I would move the big green plant in the middle to one side. The eye is drawn to it rather than the tank as a whole. Moving it a bit to one side or another would provide better balance, in my opinion. Most expert aquascapers use the two-thirds/one-third rule -- large objects or central objects are placed at the 1/3 (not the 1/2 or center) point of the tank.

I love the slopes you made with the sand. Gives it a natural feel. If this is a new tank, what are you feeding your pleco? I tend to kill plecos in new tanks...

Z

Serial324556

by Serial324556

i really don't feed my pleco much of anything haha this isn't a new tank I've had it for a little over a year now but I just changed it around. I give my pleco some cucumber once every maybe 1 or 2 weeks. Other than that he just eats the algea in the tank and sucks on the drift wood...He seems pretty healthy.

zambize

by zambize

I've read that they need algae wafers dropped in in addition to the algae they get from the tank. The algae wafers contain nutrients not found in tank algae. I've read that plecos are the most malnourished fish in aquariums because most people believe that they can subsist on tank algae alone. But then again, I can't keep one alive, so what do I know.

Z

Serial324556

by Serial324556

I do give him algae wafers once in a great while but it's kindve pointless cuz no matter how many i drop in and turn off the lights the cichlids always bully him and take them. I think the algae and cucumbers are sufficient, I've had him for a year now and moved him a couple times too. He seems pretty healthy.

zambize

by zambize

Serial - What kind of pleco is it? Do you soften the cucumber first? I'd like to find a pleco I can keep alive...

Z

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

looks good man. that sand always looks so clean =P

Oh, and my Bristlenose Plec takes dried seaweed in addition to wafers and cukes/zuccini/lettuce. The seaweed is handy because I don't end up wasting half a cuke or whatever. I can only give seaweed at night though because if I add it during the day it just breaks down and floats all over the tank before he touches it. Crazy little nocturnal bastard.

Like serial says they don't have to be supplemented this stuff all the time though.

The BNP might be good for you Z -- or do you have a 55gal running now? They only get to be 5"..not very cute though.

zambize

by zambize

I do have the 55 gallon running. I had a great little Orange Spot Pleco in it, looking great one day, dead the next. I was going to hold off adding another until the tank matures a bit. Maybe there isn't enough algae?

Z

New tank setup

11 posts • Page 1 of 2