Does anyone here breed their own strain of guppies?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

CatherineG

by CatherineG

I was wondering what colors I need to breed to eventualt get a nice looking white guppy and what colors I need to breed to eventually get a nice blue cobra I have attached photos of what I would like to get from breeding even if I was to buy one like it I still would like to breed them as well and also if I want a male with a nice long veil tail would I just breed a male that already has that tail and just keep breeding till I get the desired tail? Im very interested in the selective breeding for my own strain but I just dont understand the genetics and I have read examples a million times and I still just dont really get it.
01645-sw04.jpg
2bd28-guppy-blue-tail.jpg
04271-01_guppies_history.jpg
cf6e9-guppy-fish-profile.jpg
815e5-guppy3.jpg

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

well, you need to read about genetics or you're wasting time. Most of guppy varieties have already been created it may just be difficult to find them. You need to have at least 3 aquariums in your house to successfully breed guppies and stuff like that.

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Yeah I know but before I start I was wondering if anyone knew some of the colors you can mix and get certain colors I have been reading about the denetics alot but the more I can read the better.

zambize

by zambize

What do you plan to do with all these guppies you're breeding?

Z

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Sell them and keep them I love fish and guppies are my fav and I thought maybe since my fish store is gonna buy them from me why not.

zambize

by zambize

Catherine - I notice in your profile that you have two male swordtails in your tank. Are they adults? Male swordtails typically battle to the death in the same tank. I've had them as babies and had to separate them every time when they became juveniles and began showing a sword. When I was new to the hobby I had a very bad experience with two adult male swordtails...no one told me and I hadn't done thorough research.

I recently had what I thought was 1 male and 3 females. Then suddenly the male and one of the "females" began to fight, badly. Sure enough...when I looked closely I could see a tiny sword developing on the "female". That one female was actually a young male and he and the adult male started to fight as soon as he began to show a sword.

Even if your males are somehow getting along, your profile says 2 male swords and 1 female, and that's a dangerous ratio. First of all, the two males are more likely to fight with a lone female around to fight over, and second, the female could die of stress because she will be constantly harassed with 2 males around. That's why the recommended ratio is usually something like 3-4 females to 1 male. That way there is no fighting among males and no single female is constantly harassed.

Z

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Well these males was raised together at the shop but what happened was is I only had one and he got ick then recovered but was never able to swim fast enough to get my female pregnant and I could tell that even though he was healthy from the ick one of his fin didnt work as well and he was gonna die soon so I bought me a new male and they didnt bother each other but the one did finally die however my female still isnt pregnant yet since my male is a green and shes a red wag I may trade her in for a green female as well.

zambize

by zambize

Ok, so you only have one male swordtail, that's good. And just FYI, it doesn't matter if they are raised together, adult males will usually fight until one of them dies. They are all raised together at the store. Adults are kept together at the store "successfully" because there are about 20 of them in a small tank so they don't fight, but it won't work to put a few of those same males together at home. This is true of many species.

Zambize

8 posts