Odd little male guppy!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

CatherineG

Odd little male guppy!

by CatherineG

I have a young lyre tail male his tail has a blue streak at top and bottom and the center is clear well yesterday I noticed he was getting a black band of color at the base of his tale and streaks running threw the clear part and outlineing the blue part well last nigh it it was gone then this morning the color was back and it has now dissapeared again is this normal? Sorry I have no pic to show hes hard to get a pic of.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Fish will change colors (get brighter or darker) with different times of days, feedings, breeding, or changing of the light (if you leave it off/on for a long time). It's pretty normal. I have some fancy male guppies and when the fish light comes on in the morning, it usually takes about 15 min for them to really get their color back. I'm not an expert by any means, but this is what I've seen in the past with my guppies.

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Well I called the guy at the fish store after posting this and he said my guppy is just starting to hit maturity so its really cool to watch though.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Makes sense. esparz is correct about other aspects of color change though. My rummynose tetras have very little rummy in their nose for about 20 minutes after the lights come on..

zambize

by zambize

Do you have other males? He could have been showing off his colors in an attempt to gain status as dominant male. Fancy guppies are really beautiful and fascinating...highly underrated fish. They will really color up depending on what you are feeding them, not to mention get BIG.

My male guppies got so large and their fins got so long I had a male betta, that had always lived with them, start flaring at them and have to be separated. They started to look too much like another betta.

Z

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Well hes still a little young to be showing off his color hes just now getting the rest of his coloration.

zambize

by zambize

Oh, he's just maturing then. You'll see lots of changes. Fascinating to watch in fancy guppies.

Z

Odd little male guppy!

7 posts