Trouble with snails

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mario

Trouble with snails

by mario

I was hesitant to buy any new snails when I revamped my 30g set up. I'd previously had a few golds and mysteries that died within a week of each other. I tried again however, just buying a couple of mysteries and here I've lost one yesterday.

Now I'm quite concerned that I will lose the other and with no explanation. I test my water every two weeks a few hours after changing water and all it ever shows is some slightly hard water.

Any one have any ideas on what might be happening or advice on other cleaners that might not randomly die on me?

josmoloco

by josmoloco

What is the temp? do you add salt or any other chemicals? What fish are in the tank? What size tank? How long has it been set up?

We need information :)

mario

by mario

hah Yes there is a small amt of salt as there is a (malawi)cichlid and some tetras in the tank. I also add a water conditioner and bacteria supplement with water changes. It's a 30g with a 10g sump and it's been running this way for 3 mths. It was previously running with an overhang (whisper something...piece of junk) for over 2 yrs.

Hope that helps.

mario

by mario

oh, yeah..the temperature sits aroun 78-80 F.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

What is the temp, apple snales(mystery snale) thrive in lower temps. Salt could be the culpret but my #1 guess would be the malawi cichlid. This does not seem to be a snail friendly tank. Try keeping them in your sump if you realy like em.

mario

by mario

I'm not set on snails, they were just the first algae eater that appealed to me. Catfish are hideous. Any other suggestions for an animal that might stand up to the cichlid?...although there was never any damage to the snails, body or shell... She is of a slightly friendlier variety, a cobalt blue malawi i think.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'm not sure how thick-scaled the are in comparison to other plecos or even the common pleco but you could keep a bushynose pleco in there. They sure aren't cute but they're interesting looking, and won't grow over 5".

Most plecos can withstand a bit of an onslaught from cichlids, but generally I think they're ignored...

I've kept golden mystery/apple (not sure what the diff is) in both my community tanks with no problems due to temp (79) or conditioning aquarium salt. Salt which changes the gravity of the water, or pouring aquarium salt directly over the snail would probably be rather catastrophic. =P

For some reason I'm unable to keep a blue one alive for more than a couple weeks though...

Trouble with snails

7 posts