Just got a 55 Gallon tank and need advice

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I'm so excited, just got my 55 gallon. I'm still a few months away from having it up and running but I need some ideas. I just bought some pool filter sand for the substrate. I'm still fairly new with fish keeping so I plan on keeping the tank and peaceful community tank. I would like to have a good mixture of fake and real plants. I really like the Amazon swords and ferns for the real plants. I also plan on putting some rocks (texas red rock) and driftwood. For fish this is what I'm looking at:
4-5 Corys (Panda's, Albino, and Peppered) still undecided
5-7 Rainbow Fish
6-8 Tetra's (still undecided about what kind) I would like some type of larger colorfull Tetra's....suggestions?
2 Bolivian Rams
2-4 Swordtails (neons possibly)
2-4 Otocinclus
and possibly a shark (either a bala or albino rainbow) but, I don't know if they would be too aggressive in the tank.

Would this be a good mix? I'm open for any and all suggestions.
Thanks

esparzar1

by esparzar1

One other question, the tank came with two "whisper filters" (one is a whisper 300 and the other is a whisper 20) Are these decent filters? I currently have an Emperor 400 in my 30 gallon and I absolutely love it. I'm think about getting one for the 55 but, I don't wanna spend unnecessary $$$$ if the Whispers are sufficient. Any thoughts????

benl1036

by benl1036

Id move the Emperor 400 to the 55 and the whisper 300 to the 30.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I was thinking about that but, will it mess up the cycle in my 30 gallon?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Most all the sharks will get aggressive as they grow. I have a Rainbow shark in with my aggressive African cichlids and he is just as aggressive as they are. Bala sharks get huge too. Other than that your list sounds fine. :-)

If you are not using co2 I don't know if you will be able to keep ferns alive. I always had bad luck without it. Amazon swords will do fine tho. Just add a liquid fertilizer to the tank for them.

zambize

by zambize

The Bala Shark can reach 18", and they like to be in groups. The Rainbow Shark will stay around 4"-5", I have one. They aren't usually too aggressive, just territorial, and in a 55 gallon he may be able to claim a space and be fine. It depends on the temperament of the individual fish with Rainbows. You should have at least 3 Rams. Just 2 of any fish (unless it is a male/female pair, and sometimes not even then) is often a bad idea as they will just fight. Make sure to only get ONE male swordtail. Males will duel to the death. I would get 8 or 9 Corycats. They like to be in a shoal of at least 6, you have plenty of room, and a 55 gallon tank is a lot for only 4-5 to keep clean. Increase your Otocinclus numbers for the same reasons.

As for plants, you didn't mention what type of lighting you'll have. You'll will likely need something more than the standard flourescents if you plan on successfully keeping plants, especially in a deep 55 gallon.

Zambize
Last edited by zambize on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Thanks for all of the help guys. I plan on getting a CO2 set-up. I'll most-def add a few more cory's abd Oto's, just trying to get some ideas. As for the flourescents, I'll make sure I get the proper lighting for my plants :)
The other question I had was about my filter. I currrently have an Emperor 400 in my 30 gallon which is totally overkill but, it keeps it very clean. I was thinking about moving that into my new 55 along with the whisper 20. And moving the whisper 30-60 (I thought it was called whisper 300) into my 30 gallon. Would the whisper 30-60 be okay by itself in my 30 gallon? And how Do I do the transtion of swithcing filters without messing up anything (cycle)? Thanks again for any help.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I don't know too much about the combinations of fish that you list but I'll give you general advice.

If you ONLY want the bottom to be yellow sand then I don't think green plants will look too good with it, especially amazon swords.
If you really llike big sword-like tropical plants maybe you should consider buying some Aqua-soil (real earth) or get black colored rocks or sand, it will look more natural.

But if you got sand already you could put the sand on the bottom then decorate the top with good looking rocks and get these fish called Cichlids. It will be like their lakes in Africa.

Also if you have too many types of fish together it might not look as good as if you had only 3 or 4 types that can group together. Maybe Tetras + some bottom dwelling fish.

mario

by mario

I bought some red minor tetras, as they were the only ones with some colour at the pet store at the time. They weren't really that great looking at first, but once home on a good diet, they've really brightened up.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I would like to get Cichlids but I really can't afford them, I'm also failry new and fish keeping so I don't wanna get in over my head. It's definetly a thought....

12 posts • Page 1 of 2