CICHLID: swollen stomach

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dane918

by dane918

hey one of my cichlids has a really swollon stomach...just before the anal fins...do u hbave iany idea wat it may be?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Is it a female and is she digging? If so, it may be ready to spawn. Not all of my females are so obvious, but my Red Zebras will get fat first.

Another question: is it eating OK? Is the poop long and stringy or normal? It could be a sign of bloat. Here is an article on bloat:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/malawi_bloat.php

zambize

by zambize

Could be constipation, real common in fish, just goes unnoticed a lot.

Z

dane918

by dane918

i think its a female...its not digging and not really eating...just sits in the corner...if its bloat how would i treat it?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have never had to deal with bloat before. It tells you in that article I posted what to do. I would go to my lfs and see if they could walk me thru the process.

Try feeding them pea's. Remove the skins and feed them the insides. It might help if she is constipated.

nikoloose

by nikoloose

I used to have this problem with my goldfish alot, they would get bloat and die 3days later. Its a really messy and sad disease. If your fish does have bloat theres very few things you can do, i bought all the treatments in the shop but none of them really seemed to work, but just prolong there death. there also qwite expensive aswel.

Iv read that feeding your fish Garlic, (the vedgetable) is really helpful. i feed my Mbuna Garlic every month or so with frozen foods. Just chop it up really finely and mix it with your food and the fish eat it up. The only problem with this method is that if your fish has stopped eating its ineffective. You can also buy garlic feeds at you lfs if your worried about contaminating the water, but they are also really really expensive.

I guess this is probably too late but, What are you trying to feed your fish with at the moment? Did it survive??

dane918

by dane918

hey
yeh it has survived...itz been ages and theres still a little bump but nothing much!
pretty lucky i guess

7 posts