Starting out -looking for some help

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

erinw621

by erinw621

I have had a 10 gallon tank for my goldfish for about two years, but he recently passed away very unexpectedly.
I loved taking care of my goldfish to start, however, one goldfish in a ten gallon tank looks lonely! I am posting my first topic to ask for advice on getting more fish into my tank. I know that it is small, but it's all I have to work with and I would like to try some different fish (perhaps some schooling fish). Basically, any recommendations on the type and number of fish for a ten gallon tank would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice!

zambize

by zambize

Tell us about the rest of your setup. I'm presuming that you do not have a heater because goldfish do not need one. Are you willing to get a heater? Otherwise that will greatly limit the type of fish you can have. BTW, schooling fish may not work out because a 10 gallon tank is rather small and schooling fish need room to really swim. What size filter do you have? How often do you change the water? Do you test your water? If so, what are the usual parameters? (Including pH) I'm surprised your goldfish didn't outgrow your 10 gallon tank...how big was he? Sorry for your loss....

Z

erinw621

by erinw621

I do have a heater actually, I got the tank kit type thing as a gift.. so I have whatever filter comes with that, and I change it every month. The water tests came out normal for a freshwater tank as per the test strips, but sometimes the ammonia would be a little high and I would just do a 50% water change. The goldfish didn't grow very much (both about the size when I bought them under 2 inches), probably due to the small tank. I still don't know much about keeping a tank (only what I've learned by keeping the goldfish) , so something hearty would probably be best. I'm just trying to work up to a bigger tank, trying out the ten gallon to be sure I am cut out for this!

erinw621

by erinw621

And I just got my hands on a 20 gallon tank.. so I'm sure that will change the possibilities. Just looking to start out!

zambize

by zambize

I wonder if you really had "goldfish", because they grow large. It is a myth that fish will only grow to the size of their environment. Just like our size isn't limited because we may live in a small house. Platies are especially hardy, and you could have a betta with them, which is also hardy. A betta, 5 platy, and 3 panda corydora would be nice and fit well. With more fish like this you'll need to change the water and filter pad much more often. Also, you should read some of the articles on this site and cycling a new tank. You can't add all these fish at once. The tank will need a month or so to cycle. Any time, really, a tank should never have a heavy bioload added all at once.

Z

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

When i first branched outside of the whole goldfish thing (and im glad i did) i got a whole bunch of endler's livebearers for my 10gal. they multiplied like crazy and it was great to see the variations. Dont forget to add hiding places and maybe some java moss for the babies though otherwise they might get eaten or sucked up into the filter. thats one idea.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I highly recommend tetras in general, but in particular Cardinal Tetras. They do not get the disease called Neon tetra disease (which affects almost all fish). They have a very bright red bottom from head to tail and blue top from head to tail. They school very well, but they might not have the best schooling effect in a 10 gallon aquarium. You need at least 6.

If you have a lot of plants of shadow on the bottom of the tank you can try Serpae Tetra. They also follow each other all the time. They're red and almost see through. They are also bigger so you shouldn't put more than 6 in a 10 gallon tank.

If you like fishes that show a variety of colors and which can breed easily you should consider guppies. They breed like rabbits and its interesting to see what kind of colors come out. But eventually you will have to give some of them away because you will have too many.

erinw621

by erinw621

I was thinking about the endlers livebearers, I read that they are pretty hardy and good for beginners. However, I'm not so sure about breeding in my tank! Sounds like a lot of work. I was given a 20 gallon tank last night, so hopefully schooling fish like the tetras will work alright in there. I appreciate all of the suggestions and i plan to check out the fish today. I'm sure I will be back for more answers and advice!

8 posts