Betta Made a Bubble Nest!

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I looked in the tank this evening and there is my male Betta, hovering under a medium sized group of bubbles! I know its not from the air stone, because there are no bubble build up anywhere else. I hung a chunk of Java Moss at the top in the front corner for him to hang out in when I moved everything over to the 30 gallon. Its right next to that. Whenever a Zebra Danio gets too close he chases it off.

Poor guy, he has no female tho. I think its pretty cool! I have had a couple male Betta's in the past few years (they all died for one reason or another) and never had this happen! I have only had him a couple weeks too.

I must be doing something right, I have babies left and right in all my tanks! I would get him a girl, but don't have the means to separate tons of Betta fry.

Anyone else have a single male do that??

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah, my girlfriend and I had two (ping and pong) we kept in fishbowls on either side of the entertainment center and they'd be making a nest every week or so.

Sorry to say they were both pretty neglected and ping died as a result. Since then I moved pong into a community 10gal where he behaves like an angel. He resides with 3 peppered corys, and 4 tetras.

Despite the water movement from the whisper tetra 40, he still manages to get a bubble nest in there. He suffered fin rot and all sorts of bacterial infections while in that stupid fishbowl, its pretty amazing he's still around even considering the melafix treatments I've used.

The most hilarious thing about him is that when he's resting he'll allow himself to get sucked right up to the filter intake on his side, sometimes all night. He's been doing this for over 3 months. lol First time jess and I saw it we thought he was dead!

These two fish kind've jumpstarted me into aquaria so I'm pretty happy pong is still groovin.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

All I have read says they don't like much water movement. Well, this guy spends all day playing in the flow from the filter and riding the bubbles from the bubble wall! He will swim up into the outflow then relax and let himself get pushed down or swim down to the bubble wall, relax and let himself get pushed up! Whenever I do a water change or top it off he purposely gets right into the water I am pouring in. Its funny! He has a corner that is very calm and that is his relax spot (where the nest is). Maybe its nice after spending the first half of his life in a cup?

When I got him I let the little guy I babysit pick one out. He had one and said "Ms Cathy, this one looks angry, I don't want him." So we put him back and he choose this guy after studying them all. He is very mellow. The only trouble I had was in the 20 gallon, he picked on my female Bolivian Ram, but since the move to a 30 he has left her alone. Makes me wonder what that little man saw that I missed! I have a feeling if we went with the first guy it would have been an aggressive fish. So I let him follow his gut. Kids sense things, you know?

3 posts