Brown Algae

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

xcountryrunner10

Brown Algae

by xcountryrunner10

I was wondering if pleco or any other fish will eat brown algae? I know that this has been a question numerous times, but it was never a problem for me :)

If there aren't any fish that do eat it how will i treat it... thnx

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The best way to treat it is to scrub it off everything. I would never use that algae gone stuff they sell at the stores. I have heard such horror stories about it killing everything, etc.

Otto Cats will eat it off plants, but not so great off the tank walls. Don't think pleco's will eat it, I think they stick to the green algae.

The only real way to keep ahead of it is frequent water changes and scrubbing it off manually.

xcountryrunner10

by xcountryrunner10

Thank you dizzcat! But what is weird is that i have been doing a fishless cycle for about 2 weeks and know its started to grow!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Brown algae is the worst in a new tank! I had it forever in my planted tank. Mostly its found in newly setup tanks due to silicates and ammonia as the filter and substrate have yet to mature. It does start to slow down as your tank matures.

I have always had it in my planted community tank, but since I added co2 I no longer have it.

xcountryrunner10

by xcountryrunner10

thanks again, go get in some water changes and scrub some tank walls haha

Thanks Again!

zum14

by zum14

I also had a large bloom shortly after my fishless cycle started but after a good scrub like dizzcat suggests its all subsided, Id hold off on major cleaning tho till the tanks a little more seasoned stick to just cleaning the glass and decorations, My peppered cory's seem to munch the brown algae and are keeping it under control now that the tanks stocked. Also how long are you putting your lights on for? You dont really need them on right now with no fish unless you have live plants. might help slow the growth till its safe to clean.

xcountryrunner10

by xcountryrunner10

Im getting fish tomorrow so i have been keeping the lights on during the day and turning them off when i go to bed.

zum14

by zum14

have you checked all your levels? 2 weeks is a pretty quick cycle from my experience but thats not to say it hasnt happend. (sorry if you already know all this just want to make sure so you dont loose a bunch of fish) A timer is always good for tanks as lights dont need to be on 14 or 16 hrs a day.

a70m1c

by a70m1c

I set up a little 22L all in one tank, got brown alge after fishless cycle.

first and only time i have seen, never had in either of my established tanks.

im hoping it will go away eventully when the tank becomes more established

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

the best way to treat algae is to well...prevent it altogether.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/2307

Filtering with phosban would probably also help a great deal.

Brown Algae

11 posts • Page 1 of 2