Still new and needing advise on plants

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

My question is.........How do I get my plants to grow? I have a variety of plants (ferns/amazons) but, I'm having a very difficult time getting them to grow. They're not dying and looking healthy (green) but they don't seem to grow......ever....I've had most off them in my tank for 4 months with no results. So, what might I need to do/change to get better results. I do weekly water changes, check my ph (stays at a steady 7.3) weekly, and I have a ammonia reader that's always reads safe. The only thing I add to my tank is a water conditioner to help with the hard water and bacteria supplement (both of these are added during my water changes.) Any suggestions??????

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You need to be putting plant fertilizer in for them. Either the liquid kind or root tabs. I use Seachem Flourish brand for mine. If you really want growth you need to add CO2 too. There are a lot of do it yourself setup, just do a google search. I bought a sweet little kit for under $35 a couple months ago and have really seen a difference!

This is my CO2 kit, they are sold in most lfs
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... fermentset

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Thanks for the help Dizz! I'll try and convince the wife to let me spend a little $$$ for a CO2 kit. What about lighting? I was given the tank and my friend said that the light that was already in there was sufficient for the plants (but I think it's pretty old) Is there a good/cheap light that I should consider getting or that you recommend? One other question.....If I was only gonna get one or the other, what should I get? The CO2 kit or the fertilizer/tabs? I do plan on getting both in the future but, I'm really on a tight budget right now. Which one would be more beneficial short term?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You should start with the fertilizer. Plants use up nutrients twice as fast when you add CO2, so if you do without having a fert of some kind they will just grow in spindly or thin.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

esparzar1 , as far as the lighting, about 2 watts per a gallon should be fine , the more the better all the way up to 5 watts per a gallon. I went to Lowes and bought 2 48 inch shop lights that hold t12 lights bulbs. It works PERFECT. and for the 2 buls and 1 strip (to hold the bulbs and power it) cost about 15 dollars. I recommeded hooking it up to a timer as well it makes life easier to make sure proper lighting times, between 8 - 10 hours a day depending on the plants.

The biggest thing i learned about plants make sure to buy it from a good place NOT PETCO. And you may have some plants die, but it's a learning experience. Plants are very hard to kill unless there very senstive start easy then work your way up as you got more time, money, and knowledge.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

You should have 3 things.

-You need a powerful fluorescent light bulb that would provide at least 2 watts per gallon of water. It depends on the plants though. Plants like amazon sword or ferns need less light. Brighter plants that look more bushy and nice need at least 4 watts per gallon.

-You need to add CO2 to the water. You can use liquid CO2 supplement that you add everyday, or you can buy a CO2 injection system. It depends how big the tank is and how many plants there are.

-Also depending on the plants, you need either aquatic soil on the bottom, OR to add liquid mineral supplements. Plants that are dark green color like amazon swords, ferns, anubias, mosses, dont need soil. Other plants that are brighter in color need soil.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Once again, thanks to all for the advice!

7 posts