Flameback with ICH-,treating w/heat and Salt but no change

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I had been treating him with Aquarium salt for 11 days but then i started to raise the temp since I was not getting any results. I raised temp to around 88 degrees F. It has now been 6 days with Salt and heat and still no change. the spots are still there. I would have thought that they would have fallen off by now. My hospital tank is still in the middle of it's cycling process. Any advice???? My other cichlids still look ok.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I had this problem once too. I finally got some Quick Cure and it cleared it up. I would dose the whole tank. Be warned, it will turn the water and everything else blue!

It is when they fall off that they are killed. When you see that the fish no longer has spots, the ick is in cyst stage and can be killed. While its on the fish it cannot (from what I understand) They recommend to keep dosing the tank for at least 4-7 days after you no longer see spots. It is highly contagious, so dose the whole tank if that is where the sick guy is.

Here is a good article about ick:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I actually came home tonight and I noticed that some of the white things are starting to fall off!!!! I was so excited! I just want to make sure that the salt in there does not hurt the other fish. It has been in there around 16 days or more.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The salt wont hurt the fish. Just don't add more without a water change. If you are adding salt when just topping off the tank then that is when your salt levels might get too high because the water evaporates, not the salt.

The falling off stage is when the ick can be killed, so keep the temp high and the salt in. Wait a day or so and do a big water change.

I am no expert on Ick, so reading more will give you a better idea. :-)

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I am still doing about a 30% water change every week to make sure I vacuum up any of the ich that falls off. I have been adding salt back to whatever amount I take out from the water change. I think I am doing it right I just wanted to make sure the Salt level was ok for a long period time. Thanks for your Help!!!!

5 posts