Filter recommed for 55 gallon planted tank?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and I have a lot of debris in my tank from my plants, I have since added a second filter but as seen from the picture it gets clogged up, I can tank the little safety thing off to make sure bigger debris can make it in my filter but was worried about my fish going in/ getting sucked up but the fish I have are all adults like clown loaches ,plecos,

So my question is what should I do to make sure the largest amount of debris can get in without losing fish for swimming into it and getting chopped up by filter???
ed303-IMG00030.jpg

zambize

by zambize

I have a planted tank as well and the filter intake gets a lot of plant debris sucked up to it. I really don't want the plant debris going into my filter because it will clog my filter, slow it down, and get trapped in the impeller causing me to have to break down the filter and clean it out. Not fun and cleaning it can destroy beneficial bacteria. The filter intake is meant to trap larger pieces of debris before it can get into your filter so you may want to reconsider having these pieces go into your filter.

I drag a net through my planted tank about once a week and get much of the larger plant debris out that way. And at the same time I pull away the plant debris from the intake with my hand. Will that work for you?

Z

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Thanks for the advice, i only had 1 filter and by the end the week my tank looked so crabby due to debris I wanted to stop a planted tank. I do the net thing when I clean my filters, I just take the filters out and let my filter run like normal so anything stuck or left in there hopefully we flow into the tank and catch to all. I will see once. I have never had to take my filters completely apart because of debris only because of carbon :(

but again thanks for the advice Z

zambize

by zambize

That sounds like a lot of debris for one week. Why so much debris?

Z

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I think its just because I have very weak filter, I had the 30-60 gallon tank filter that you buy at walmart. Now that I got 2 it's almost crystal clear water. The debris has settle a lot. I believe it's the type of plants I have. I need to get more but money has been tight. I believe what happened before the other filter got clogged so fast that it would not be able to suck up anything small/big there for casing a very dirty tank. I am very pleased with it now.

Darkruby5088

by Darkruby5088

I would recommend as a filter is the penguin brand. The Pengiun 350 is great for a 55gallon tank and it has all the filtration you need. It supports Chemical through its Carbon filtration. It also has Biological filtration through its bio-wheels. Then it has mechanical through its uptake valve.
You could also use the canister filters such as something made by Marineland because they work really well and they are inconspicuous. It does though, at times, require a good clean through and can be a hassle.

zambize

by zambize

I use Penguin filters as well, love them.

Z

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I recommend a Fluval brand intenrnal filter. In your case the most powerful one they have is #4 I think. I got this variety for my 30 gallon tank and its great. I has adjustable stream valve. It also has a type of filter cartridge that you can easily open up and put any type of filter medium that you like.You dont have to buy proprieatary cartridges for it.

8 posts