Need help with water change.

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have a new 28 gallon freshwater tank at 80 degrees with 3 female Bettas in it. This weekend I'd like to change out 20-25% of the water. This may be a stupid question, but how do I replenish that much water without first getting it to 80 degrees? My tap water is about 64 degrees, and room temp in my house is 68 degrees. I don't want to add that much 68 degree water to my tank. Or is that the only way to do it?

Thank you in advance.

miami754

by miami754

I am a little confused by you saying that the temperature of your tap water is 64 degrees. I assume you can change the temperature of your tap water, correct? If so then just make it hotter. You only need to be within a couple of degrees. Using your hand to feel the temperature of the water and then feel the water in the tank usually gets you close enough. If you are really worried about it then I guess you could buy a thermometer. I've always just used my hand though.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm not the consummate expert on this, but what I do is feel the temp of my tank with my hand and try to match that pretty close with the water I put in. Can't you adjust your tap water above 64 degrees? I'd just get it pretty close, condition the water, and put it in.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Also, if you are worried, you can introduce a few gallons at a time, let that amount adjust to the temp, then add a few more, let that adjust, and so on. Until your 25% is replenished. I fill a 5 gallon bucket with slightly warmer than 80 degree water and condition it... then let it sit a bit, then introduce a bit at a time. Just test by hand, a few degrees or even 5 degrees wont matter if u introduce a bit at a time the heater and the large body of water will adjust the temp for you just fine. Better slightly warmer water than slightly colder.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Thank you all for such prompt replies. Yes, I can change the temp of my tap water, I was just giving the starting temp as a reference point. I wasn't sure if raising the tap water temp would work right, it makes sense but I'm paranoid about killing my new fish so I wanted to check. Thanks! I'll be changing some water this weekend!

Zambize

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Try to turn the water on hot and then if it's still colder just crank the heater up

6 posts