Help is my Pleco Dying?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

hushpuppy7

Help is my Pleco Dying?

by hushpuppy7

Hi

I have inherited a Pleco called Oscar who is about 8" long and is black leopard type coloured.

We have noticed that he is balanced on some underwater rocks on his side and from his anus(?) there seems to be a red/orange coloured liquid coming out.

Can anyone please help me? Is he ill? Injured? Or is this normal?

darkruby

by darkruby

Never seen this kind of activity within a fish... it could be an internal disease... or a parasite. It's impossible to tell without an autopsy. It could also be that he does not feel well and is just discharging waste, like we do when we feel sick. Some kind of antibiotic would be good, but be careful because they are more sensitive to medicine since they don't have scales.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I'm with Darkruby, a combination of stress from the move and possibly poor water conditions(possibly from old tank) has increased his vulnerability to parasites. Pleco's are pretty tough though, he should make it out just fine.

I'd say just keep updating us on his status and keep the water really clean.

zambize

by zambize

If you medicate he should be moved to a quarantine tank. There are many reasons it is a bad practice to medicate your whole tank. Just FYI.

Z

hushpuppy7

by hushpuppy7

Dear All I am very sory to report that Oscar has died. Thanks for all your assistance, it's a real shame as he was a lovely fish, but if the previous owners are to be belived he must have been nearly 20 years old, if he was he certainly had a good innings.

Help is my Pleco Dying?

5 posts