How to clean cloudy water in a planted tank?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

In my first true planted tank I have put aqua soil on the bottom. It has made water somewhat cloudy. The cloudiness has stabilized and doesn't seem to be settling down. I have a powerful filter running but it doesn't make the water crystal clear.

What is the right method to make sure the water in a planted aquarium is very clear? Should I do some gravel vacuuming? Or just keep the filter running and keep waiting?

zambize

by zambize

Is the tank entirely new or did you just change out the substrate? Is all the water is new? How long has it been? More info needed.

Z

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Hi. The tank was brand new and the substrate was new as well. It has been in there for about 3 weeks without a filter. Then I put a filter in. It has been running about 5 days and its much cleaner now.
So I guess my question is whether I should vacuum the soil on the bottom or is vacuuming only for rocks?

zambize

by zambize

Did you rinse the substrate first? Some types don't need it, but many should be rinsed first. The cloudiness should have cleared up within a few days (post-filter). The cloudiness can be due to the substrate being stirred up, but it can also be a new tank cloud -- sometimes new tanks are cloudy for a few days, but it should clear up soon. Is it still cloudy and did you rinse the substrate?

Z

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Thanks for info. No the substrate was not rinsed. They told me not to rinse the variety I got.

darkruby

by darkruby

I would sugest syphoning the water without touching the bottom substrate because if it's the kind of plant soil I think your talking about, you will have a mess if you syphone THAT out. So, you can just do frequent non-bottom-touching syphoning and there are chemicals that help with this as well. As soon as you do some of this, wait it out. It will all eventually settle out.

6 posts