55gallon @ work.....

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TigerTaylor8906

55gallon @ work.....

by TigerTaylor8906

Will be setting up 55 gallon tank at work in the coming months. Its a small retail store, so what Im looking for are suggestions for visually appealing freshwater fish for a planted tank. Nothing huge, I would like it to be smaller fish so there will be more to look at. Blues or yellows maybe. Im just trying to get all my decisions made before hand so I will know exactly what Im going for. Thanks.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Lots of options in a 55g tank. I'd say some nice colorful fish for your tank could be some Australian Rainbows, Gouramis, Rams, Cory cats(there are some really nice ones out there), neon tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras(my fav fish ever), just too name a few.

Most community fish would work though, so I'd suggest just going to your LFS just to see what they have that catches your eye.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

yea, update, my friend is an idiot! Its a 20L. A buddy of mine was giving me a tank, told me it was 55, went to get it today, its a 20! But still free so I cant complain. Thanks though!

Darkruby5088

by Darkruby5088

Same principal applies... if you want small nice freshwater fish, you should go with rainbows. They are appealing and catch attention from many people because of their beautiful colors. They also have an interesting body feature which allows them to feed from the top. They are very peacful fish and fighitng is scarce or non existent. Nice stream gravel is a good in order to bring out their best color and fake plants are recommended. Since rainbows are very peacful with almost all types of fish, you can add other fish in order to add variety. A few cleaners, like the beautiful clown loach, and other bottom dwelling fish are perfect for this set up.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Ok that sounds good, but why are fake plants better for the rainbows? Will they tear them up?

darkruby

by darkruby

No, its just based off that you have a buisness and I didn't know if you had time to care for the plants. They require quite a bit of care and planning. I figured you would want to go simple. But, if you want to go with plants, I can go in on some basics.

tigertaylor

by tigertaylor

Yea Im still a beginner with plants but I do have a planted ten gallon. I will have probably more time to spend on my tank at work than at home actually! I dont use co2 at home but assume the twenty would benefit much more from it than my smaller one.

tigertaylor

by tigertaylor

Also I really dont want a full lid to be necessary. I would like to leave the top open. Are rainbows known to jump out of a tank given the chance?

zambize

by zambize

I'm afraid rainbows and clown loaches will both be too large for a 20 gallon tank. The clown loach can reach a foot long. You haven't mentioned a specific rainbow, but most of them get around 4"-6" and they are schooling fish so it would be best to have six or so. If you want colorful, get 3-5 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourmai and a school of 9-11 Neon Tetras. That would be striking and fit nicely in your tank.

Z

tigertaylor

by tigertaylor

Yes I was looking around and I was looking hard at the dwarf Gouramis and tetras. Are they jumpers?

55gallon @ work.....

11 posts • Page 1 of 2