Will he live?? :-( fungal infection

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

One of my new Acei has a fungal infection :-(

I bought them at Petsmart (not my first choice to buy fish, but the only place that has Acei). I got 2 little guys that are 1 1/2". They looked great in the store and good at home too. One of them started picking on the other real bad almost as soon as I put them in the tank. So, I caught the little guy and put him in with my African fry. This is why I named him BooBoo. The next morning (Yesterday) I noticed white fuzz on one fin his buddy ripped up, and some on his face. So, I gave him a 5 minute salt bath (this works wonders when I have fish who got into it and their fins got ripped up. They heal almost overnight!) I then took the carbon out of the filter, did a 50% water change and added the recommended amount of Mardel's Maroxy medication. I treated the whole tank because he exposed my fry, all the fry are fine, no signs of infection at all. Yesterday he swam with the worst fin clamped against his body and stayed pretty much hidden. I had to go back to the store today to get a new filter, so decided if he was worse I would return him.

When I got up this morning he came out to eat, ate real well and was starting to move that fin. He still has the white spots on one side of his face (almost the entire side is covered) and fin, but is more active. Just fed him and he's still eating great.

I have never dealt with fungus because I keep my tanks pristine and only buy my fish from a trusted lfs. I really want this one to live because I think it is a male, more so than the other one.

So, does it sound like he is on the mend? He swims around with the other fry and is eating good. But still has the whitish stuff on his face. He will flare his fins when he sees his reflection, which gives me hope. Poor guy looks awful! I think it looks so much worse because he is a dark purple.

How long does this take to heal? I have grown fond of the little guy!

Is there anything else I should do besides the medication?

Thanks everyone.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Aw, he died overnight :-(

I just replaced him. I really irritated the chick at the store cuz I wouldn't take just any one she could catch HAHAHAHAHAHA! I made her catch 3 then I looked them over really good, even vented them, and think I have a male. That was funny. I know she bitched to her co-worker about what a pain I was! But, hey, when you are spending money, and you want a male, not any ol fish, you look good.

HAHAHAHA!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

That sucks dizz, I was gonna comment on this yesterday but I'm really not experienced in any forms of disease treatment. Most I've ever tackled was an ich gill infection, popeye, and fin rot, all 3 of which were treated with aquarium salt and pimafix/melafix. Most say that the above mentioned are really only good at healing a fish not ridding of infection or fungus, so my guess is they just help the fish fight things off..

3 posts